Dvd drives are bein recognized as cd drives

slamboy234 22:17 11 Nov 2007

Hello, if you need model numbers I would be more then happy to provide them. I am experiencing something I have never ran into before. I went to watch a movie on my computer today, and all my DvD-rom drives are being recognized by my computer as CD-rom drives. 3 days they were being recognized correctly. I run windows XP Home. I have had this computer for 2-3 years now and never had this issue come up.

P.s. even the virtual DvD drives I set up through Alcohol 120% are being recognized wrong. any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:36 11 Nov 2007

click here
Download XP_CD-DVD-Fix.zip and save this file to your hard drive. Navigate to where you saved it and double click the file to extract the contents. Locate the EXE file you extracted and double click it. A confirmation dialog will appear when the script is done. You may need to reboot for the change to take effect.
This utility is only intended for Windows® XP. You may need Administrator level access to use this utility. If you do not have Administrator level access, the program will say it is finished, but will not have made any changes.

or
Run regedit and navigate to registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}.
Highlight it and in the right pane, find the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters values.
Highlight each one in turn, right click and delete them.
Close regedit and restart the computer.
If in doubt make a restore point before making changes.

slamboy234 22:49 11 Nov 2007

This did not work. Thank you for responding though. I ran it, and rebooted. Then went to see if they got recognized correctly and they were not. If you have any other ideas, I would greatly appreciate them. If all else fails I will be reinstalling Windows for the 12th time. Thank you again.

Stuartli 23:55 11 Nov 2007

Both are regarded purely as optical drives and use the same basic Windows CDROM driver - are they working as intended i.e. playing and/or writing to disks?

It's a burning program that performs the operating side of a rewriter.

Another possibility is that the DVD laser may have packed up, but the CD laser is still operating in a DVD optical drive.

slamboy234 23:59 11 Nov 2007

No, they are not. I have to Physical DVD drives, and neither of them will play DVD's or burn them. They are acting exactly like a CD rom drive. Also can you please explain "packed up" I am not familiar with that term. I have since tried unplugging them both and restarting the computer with out them plugged in, then plugged them in and checked. To no avail. Thank you for trying to help me, any help is much appreciated.

Stuartli 15:31 12 Nov 2007

Yes they are.

"Packed up" means what it says - failed. It's not uncommon, especially with rewriters which are more fragile than a ROM drive due to their particular role.

As I said, if the DVD laser has failed, the CD laser is likely to still be OK, but it won't read or write to DVDs if it's a DVD rewriter; it will/should still read or write to CD media.

Try Uninstalling both drives from Device Manager, then disconnecting one (take out the power lead from the rear of the drive).

Reboot and Windows should Find New Hardware and reinstall the basic CDROM driver.

Check if the drive is working properly. If so, connect the other drive and Reboot.

Again Windows should Find New Hardware and reinstall the basic CDROM driver.

Again check if this drive is now working properly.

If either one or the other/or both is still kaput, then you will need a replacement(s).

A top brand DVD rewriter costs from around £16.50 upwards in OEM form these days.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?