DVD drives

Jak_1 15:27 07 Dec 2007

I have an advent pc 64 bit AMD Athlon running x-p home. I have 2 x 160 GB internal drives a standard floppy drive and an internal card reader drive, a DVDROM (E) and a DVDRW (F) (not a combi but 2 seperate drives). All was fine until I re-installed the os, now I can burn cd's but having problems with the DVD burning, Pinnacle states dvd burning successful but the dvd will not play.I have tried playing from the dvdrom,it seea the files but will not play them. Also a 3rd drive has appeared, a cdrom drive, I do not have a cdrom drive, this has been allocated drive letter (L)!
I could burn what I need to cd's but would prefer to do this to dvd's as it means using fewer disks. Any help would be much appreciated.

skidzy 15:55 07 Dec 2007

Hi Jak_1
Have you tried deleting the drives from device manager and rebooting and let xp find the drives.

Any error codes ?

What happens if you try Deepburner click here

Jak_1 16:00 07 Dec 2007

Will try that and see what happens.

Stuartli 16:10 07 Dec 2007

Try Deleting, as already suggested, all the optical drives and the internal card reader; remove the power (or leads) from all these devices.

Then install the DVD-ROM and DVD rewriter drives by connecting each power lead or connection lead individually, rebooting in between; finish with the internal card reader.

This will/should install all the devices with the correct letters sequence (the rewriter should always come up as E whether installed first or second time in the sequence).

You should check that the rewriter is the Master and the ROM drive the Slave by checking the jumper position on the back of each optical drive.

Stuartli 16:11 07 Dec 2007

I'm presuming E for the rewriter as you have two hard drives and that these are already C and D (as you state the ROM drive comes up as E at present).

Jak_1 16:24 07 Dec 2007

C is the master hdd, D is slaved to C. The DVDROM (E)is Master with the DVD Writer (F) slaved to it. That was the way it was setup when I bought the pc.

Jak_1 17:05 07 Dec 2007

Will try the suggestion of deleting the optical drives when I have a bit more time, will let you know how I get on. Thanks for your replies so far.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?