dvd drivers

great dog 09:37 08 Feb 2007

When buying a dvd internal drive it says on some of the tech information that it is/or comes bare,what does this mean?should i buy one bare or not bare.

Stuartli 09:41 08 Feb 2007

It means that it is an OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) drive - it comes just as the "bare" drive with no retail packing etc.

It's all you need apart from, if it's a rewriter, a burning program.

Optical drives only require the basic Windows CDROM driver which is automatically installed.

If you only have one drive set the jumper on the rear to Master - if you have two, the rewriter will be the Master and the other drive the Slave.

Stuartli 09:44 08 Feb 2007

A "bare" drive represents a useful financial saving on a retail packed equivalent.

For instance, some shops in my area are still selling Sony CD-RW rewriters in retail packs at between £22 and £28 - you can buy the latest "bare" Sony DVD rewriter drive for under £20..:-)

Belatucadrus 09:44 08 Feb 2007

In addition to the lack of burning/player software, bare probably also means no connecting cables.

Technotiger 09:58 08 Feb 2007

Mmmm, aren't connecting cables already in PC!

:-)

Belatucadrus 11:29 08 Feb 2007

Depends, if it's an additional drive then it may not be supplied with the audio line out cable and I've yet to see a PC with a spare one hanging loose.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:46 08 Feb 2007

audio line out cable not required if you set
"Enable digital Cd audio"
in the drives properties box in device manager.

Totally-braindead 12:27 08 Feb 2007

If you already have DVD burning software then you can just get the bare one. If you don't then see how much price difference there is between the bare and the retail which sometimes comes with burning software( you have to read the description about this ).
Heres a bare one as example click here and heres a retail one that comes with software click here comes with Nero software.
These are just examples.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans échec ?