DVD driver has suddenly corrupted

stone16 20:55 25 Nov 2008

Hi

Hope you can help.

I'm running Vista Home Premium, and have had problems with AVG 8.0 Firewall recently, and have been following advice from their technical support team to resolve a driver conflict.

Problem is, removing some of the files they've suggested has stopped my DVD drive from working! Vista Device Manager is detecting the drive, and indicates that I have the most up-to-date version of the driver installed, but shows an error under Device Status:

"Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)"

I've tried using Restore Points to correct the error, with no success, and I've manually replaced the driver files in their original location, again with no success.

Somebody please help...

Thanks!

MAT ALAN 21:09 25 Nov 2008

Optical drives use the generic drivers supplied by your O/S uninstall the drive in device manager reboot PC, it will then be redetected...

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:12 25 Nov 2008

Virtually all CDs /DVDs players and writers will use the same windows drivers. they are in the windows\system32\dirvers\ or windows\system32\DRIVERS \ folder and are:-
DRIVERS\cdrom.sys

DRIVERS\imapi.sys

drivers\MxWI2k.sys

drivers\pfc.sys

DRIVERS\REDBOOK.sys

and in the windows\system32 folder

storprop.dll

try device manager update driver and install these files. to get your CD/DVD working again.

skidzy 21:56 25 Nov 2008

Another option for you;

Though not strictly your problem,though this may help if you run the Doug Knox fix first and then update the driver.

Missing cd/dvd drives can be normally associated with the removal of burning software such as Nero/Roxio/Sonic/Easy CD Creator etc.
And not showing the drive in My Computer.

Try the below link ,if still no luck follow the Procedure of removing the upper and lower filters.

click here

If no joy with the above fix,try the Microsoft Guided Help

click here scroll down to the Guided help download and follow the instructions.

If still no joy,follow the manual fix below.

If you have further any error codes,please post them.

Restore Missing CD/Dvd Drives

Missing cd/dvd drive
If it is showing an error code:
Code 19, Code 31, Code 32, Code 39, or Code 41
, delete the drive.

Then follow these directions for clearing the Upper/Lower Filters: (might want to print this out)

1. Click on Start --> Run --> and type in 'regedit' followed by the enter key ( if Vista Start search or windows+R )
2. Expand the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" key (looks like a folder) by double clicking it (or
3. clicking the "+" next to it.)
4. Expand the "SYSTEM" Key
5. Expand the "CurrentControlSet" Key
6. Expand the "Control" Key
7. Expand the "Class" Key
8. Please look for a key containing the following string of letter and numbers:
{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
9. High light this key by left clicking once on it
10. On the right hand side you are looking for "UpperFilters" and "LowerFilters" under the "Name" column, once you find these please delete them by right clicking on them and choosing "delete"
11. Please exit the registry by clicking on the "X" in the top right hand corner of the screen

Reboot your computer

.If in any doubt editing the registry,please create a System Restore point first and also backup your registry....The guidedhelp from Microsoft on backing up the registry is a good lesson for anyone to learn. click here

Creating a System Restore point:

Start/All Programs/Accessories/System Tools/System Restore…follow the prompts.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?