DVD drive won't read FFXI

imperial4cereal 05:10 26 Jul 2006

Ok, first off the game does work and is in perfect condition, I had it installed on another pc before. When I put it in my drive, nothing pops up and when I try to open it from My Computer I get this message "D:\ Win32 is not a valid application". I am able to see whats on it though and I have tried to open it from within, but no luck. Then I tried it in safe mode under the admin account. Its able to read the disc from there, so I know its not busted. I click install and it seems to start off fine but I soon get an InstallerShield runtime error. I seriously need some help on this. =/

imperial4cereal 05:39 26 Jul 2006

That was supposed to read "D:\ is not a valid Win32 Application".

€dstowe 06:39 26 Jul 2006

This error message is usually caused by a faulty CD/DVD.

Is the disk clean? It may be that the drive is misreading the disk due to scratches or deposits of dirt on the surface.

imperial4cereal 06:43 26 Jul 2006

Yeah its clean. I only took it out of the case once and that was to install it on another pc. Also, it was able to read it in safe mode, but I would receive Runtime Errors from InstallerShield when trying to install.

€dstowe 07:58 26 Jul 2006

I got the information for my reply by Goooogling:

not a valid win32 application error

Most of the links come up with a similar explanation.

imperial4cereal 13:32 26 Jul 2006

Hmm. I heard that some viruses can cause this problem. Is there any truth behind that?

imperial4cereal 16:50 26 Jul 2006

I'm gonna try cleaning the drive. Maybe I'll have some luck and it will work ='/

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:02 26 Jul 2006

Not a valid win32 Application
click here

imperial4cereal 01:21 27 Jul 2006

Alrighty, heres what I did. I ran Guided Help and did a clean boot. I was able to install it from there. I guess some of my other applications were interfering with it. Thanks all ^^

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?