DVD drive unresponsive!!! Please help!

bellyfluffer 18:26 03 Feb 2007

Hi all

I bought a vaio v2s last year and was very happy until the dvd drive seemed to develop a disturbing new personality,

Explanation....

2 weeks ago the dvd drawer itself wouldnt eject by pushing the button and instead would just pop open randomly every couple of days, I must note that at this point there was no dvd in the drive and no attempt to play one.
Then this morning i found that I could happily eject by either using the paperclip method in the weephole or by using the 'my computer' and 'devices' options to 'eject this disk' however there is no noise whatsoever from the drive and it doesnt seem to reconize anything i put in it, dvd, cd, etc.

Then a new development.........

For the first time just now, I switched on the v2s and all seemed ok, the drawer ejected at the push of the button (1st time in 2weeks) and the dvd worked fine. I put a dvd in and it played..... for about 30secs and then automatically ejected and is now back to the above status i.e. non responsive to anything!!!!

I should note that 'accidently' the draw was left open for 2 days unnoticed (due to the positioning of it on the v2s)before it started playing up, I wouldnt have thought this could affect it but better to mention it!

There are no error messages and in 'device manager' there are no stated problems, it just says 'working properly'.

Im no computer genius but no idiot either so any advice or help would be greatly appreciated!

bellyfluffer 20:39 03 Feb 2007

Ok....

There seems to be a lot of people on here and this seems to be the only question that has no response, have i asked a taboo question that has been asked 1000's of times before?

Belatucadrus 20:55 03 Feb 2007

No, you've asked what looks suspiciously like a hardware problem and diagnosing and offering a fix for such by forum is notoriously difficult, particularly with disk drives where your options are severely limited.
Try giving it a blast from a compressed air duster can, then see what happens.

ronlin 20:57 03 Feb 2007

Try a system restore to when it was working last

ronlin 21:05 03 Feb 2007

try this site theres a dvd/cd fix
click here

BRYNIT 21:06 03 Feb 2007

Its the week end a lot of the forum member may have gone out or have other things to do.

The problem could be due to a software problem or the DVD drive could be faulty.

Do you have Nero InCD on your computer. Some of the older versions did cause a problem preventing the drawer to open.

skidzy 21:11 03 Feb 2007

Agreed,faulty dvd drive.

There are a few fixes like pointed out by ronlin,however i do not think they will fix your problem...i believe its a hardware fault or faulty connections somewhere.

alltime 21:14 03 Feb 2007

On Many of these Cd drives there is only one screw that holds them in (underneath normally to the back or side) I would try removing the drive cleaning the connection terminals and reinstalling it making sure it is pushed right bask onto the connection block. Then use a cd cleaning disc, something like an allsop. Try reinstalling the driver in device manager, First delete the drive then let windows reinstall it. Good luck

bellyfluffer 21:37 03 Feb 2007

Cheers guys,

I'll start trying the above suggestions and let you know how I got on!

Really appreciate it!

bellyfluffer 14:25 06 Feb 2007

Ok,
The update as promised!

Removed drive and checked all connections

Deleted driver and reinstalled

Tried a system restore to an earlier date, but after gong through the routine and restarting it constantly restarts with an "unable to complete restore" message and all settings and programs remain unchanged (quite worrying!)

Also noticed that on the very rare occasion that it works (albeit for only a matter of seconds) it always if I try to open or use the dvd drive during booting up/logging in?! Surely not coincidence?

Is there a chance that another program is interfering with it?

Thanks again people!

skidzy 14:30 06 Feb 2007

How many software burning apps do you have installed.

You could also try resetting the DMA settings click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone