DVD drive suddenly thinks it's a cd drive

portacabin 11:01 21 Nov 2003

My LG drd8160b dvdrom drive has stopped playing DVDs.

It will still play CDs, but won't recognise a DVD. DVD files are not associated in windows explorer either.

The video player software like Real and WMP all still works on mpegs etc.

Any thoughts? WinXP.

Tom

Sgt. Pepper 11:13 21 Nov 2003

Portacabin

Try reinstalling your DVD software. That might fix the problem. If the drive still works it may be just a software issue.

DieSse 11:31 21 Nov 2003

Any DVD - including data DVDs (DVD-ROMS)- or just films?

If just Films - then it may be the software film player.

If data DVDs, too - then the drive s probably faulty - there are different reading lasers and circuits for DVDs, so it is possible for one to fail and the other to keep working.

alcudia 11:37 21 Nov 2003

Same with mine. No problem with CD's but has a heck of job reading DVD's, all types.

Just bought a new one. Going in over the weekend.
They hardly cost anything now so I would replace it.

I assume it is still listed in explorer as a DVD drive and not CD.

A_World_Maker 12:05 21 Nov 2003

I use XP home, When I 1st got the computer, windows recoginised the DVD as a DVD, but after a few updates from Microsoft, is re-registered itself as a CD-ROM. I re-associated all film types with the player and re-installed the supplied software before it would play properly. The same happened to my CD-RW btw, again cured by the same method and also a firmware update. I think it is Windows being over cautious in re-installing its own system files and over writting installed software drivers.

Stuartli 12:45 21 Nov 2003

It could be that the DVD laser has given up the ghost if your model has twin lasers.

However, my DVD-ROM drive and TDK rewriter are listed in reverse in Windows Media Player 9 - the rewriter is listed as "D" and the DVD-ROM as "E"...:-)

Stuartli 12:46 21 Nov 2003

CD and DVD-ROM drives are treated no differently by Windows, which uses the same driver type for each drive; same with a rewriter.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?