Dvd drive shows in POST/Bios but not in XP

tomhealy 15:33 17 Jun 2003

I believe that my DVD drive may be kaputt but would like confirmation before buying a new one.

When the pc is started up it recognises the dvd in the post screen alond with the two hd's and cd-rw but when Xp loads up it is nowhere to be seen.

If i load a DVD movie in while powering up it sometimes recognises it is there but then crashes when playing the film, while a dvd data disk such as a coverdisk makes does not show up at all!

Any ideas?

tomhealy 22:59 17 Jun 2003

have checked the power and ide cables, all present and correct

davidg_richmond 01:06 18 Jun 2003

did you remove then reinsert the cables? this works a lot of the time. has this problem co-incided with the installation of any new hardware or software?

tomhealy 10:59 18 Jun 2003

Have removed and reinserted the ide cables but no difference.

only new hardware fitted is a new ati 9500pro graphics card

davidg_richmond 12:08 18 Jun 2003

I am lead to think that plug n play is not operating properly with your DVD drive, either because of a hardware fault or a Windows IRQ/power problem.

If you go into Start/Control Panel/System/Hardware/Devices/ (or something similar, I don't have XP I'm afraid!) have a look under CD-ROM in the list. You will either not see the drive there, or you could see an IDE device with an exclamation mark showing a problem device. If the latter is the case, this problem should be fixable, if you cannot see it there at all, I would consider replacing the drive.

tomhealy 00:54 19 Jun 2003

no sign of it in the device manager bit.

I do have Alcohol 120% (cd copying software) installed which allows me to mount an image file as another cd/dvd drive but if i remember correctly i think i had the problem before this was installed

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017