DVD Drive Problem

subi 09:05 11 Oct 2008

When I insert a DVD to play using Power DVD version 4.0.13.2409 I get nothing but a box which states: No Disc In Drive D:
I have tried a CD in the same drive and the same thing happens.
My second "CD" drive is working properly.
Any suggestions would be welcome.
My OS is XP Pro on a DELL Dimension 2400.

johndrew 09:38 11 Oct 2008

Do you get any drive noise or indicator lights when you insert the DVD?

It could be the drive has failed, has a bad connection (try disconnecting/reconnecting the cables to the motherboard and drive) or needs cleaning (get a cleaning disk and try it).

You could also try to read a CD, if that is OK it does cut out some possibilities. However there are two separate sets of electronics and lasers so the above is still worthwhile.

lofty29 10:05 11 Oct 2008

usually means the drive has died, but try cleaning, reconnecting etc, what does device manager say. A new drive will only cost about £15

subi 20:12 11 Oct 2008

Have done a Trubleshoot Scan from Microsoft and the following box appeared "The UpperFilters and LowerFilters registry values that can cause CD access problems do not excist on your computer"
How do you overcome this?

skidzy 23:22 11 Oct 2008

Run this fix click here post back if no joy.

Or;

check my post click here

DieSse 00:10 12 Oct 2008

"How do you overcome this?"

You don't. The fact that they don't exist means that they cannot be causing your problem.

Almost certainly your drive has failed.

subi 10:03 12 Oct 2008

Hi skidzy,
Tried fix ....no joy. Checked your post and went into the registry key as per instructions. No sign of UpperFilters or LowerFilters.
On the top line is ab ( Default) Reg_sz DVD/CD-Rom Drives.
Looks like I am snookered!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 Hack Latest News: How Secure is your Wi-Fi?

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Comment utiliser Twitter ?