DVD drive not showing

Dannyb 21:58 31 May 2008

My DVD drive has stopped showing when I start my laptop and I am now unable to use DVDs. Can anybody advise please how to get it back and to start discs automatically when they are put in. I have Windows XP on my Sony Vaio.

brundle 22:03 31 May 2008

Missing CD/DVD drives;
click here

Dannyb 22:28 31 May 2008

Thanks brundle, just tried that but it didn't work.

brundle 22:30 31 May 2008

Does it show up in the BIOS? Does it spin up at all if you change boot priority to DVD first and put a bootable disc in?

Dannyb 22:37 31 May 2008

How do I check the BIOS or change priority? Sorry, please bare with me.

jamich 22:59 31 May 2008

its usualy del button to hold while pc is starting once you in bios you will see whether you drive is recognised there or not if yes that its OS if not than its the drive you pray for the first options it cheaper. just go to device manager and uninstall cd dvd drive from there and restart pc it should do the trick if not get back here

brundle 23:02 31 May 2008

No problem. When you switch on you should see a message, press F1/F2/F12/Del to enter Setup (there are few common ones, yours may say a different key), or perhaps relating to boot options . Press whatever key it says, look in the BIOS for IDE or SATA entries, see what drives are listed.

Don't change boot order if you don't have a CD to put in that it will boot from. More interested in whether the drives spins up or detects a disc at all.

you might find this useful; click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?