dvd drive not recognised

imzy 23:02 03 Aug 2004

Hi all.

I have been having a problem with a computer I have bought of someone. The DVD drive does not seem to be recognised. When I go into device manager the DVD drive is there and it says it is working properly but when I go into "my computer" there seems to be a cd rom drive allocated to drive "D" although I don't have a cd ron drive, and a CDWriter drive allocated to drive E. Also, when I click on the cd-rom drive, it is my CDWriter drive that boots up. I have just re-installed windows regarding an unrelated matter but I am still having the same problem.

Any help greatly appreciated

Cheers

Imzy

Any help greatly appreciated.

harps1h 23:09 03 Aug 2004

have you tried using your dvd yet?

imzy 23:12 03 Aug 2004

Yes. I put a dvd in but it doesn't autorun. I click on the E drive, which it says is the CDWriter drive, but it just says "insert cd in drive E".

Chegs ® 23:18 03 Aug 2004

My first guess is you haven't got the jumpers configured correctly on the back of the drives.One should be "jumpered" as "Master" the other as "Slave"

imzy 23:20 03 Aug 2004

Thanks Chegs.

So how do I change that. Do I just pull the jumpers out and change them around?

Chegs ® 23:21 03 Aug 2004

My first guess would be its an incorrectly configured jumper(s)One drive should be set as "Master" the other as "Slave" The jumper plugs are tiny black/grey rectangular things on the back of both drives.Somewhere on the drives will be the letters to describe which pin pair sets what (MS/CS,etc)

imzy 23:28 03 Aug 2004

Yes I have dealt with jumpers before on my own computer when I was installing a new DVD writer drive, but I didn't have any problem like this with that.

So you are saying that there should be something on each drive to tell me which jumper goes where?

harps1h 23:32 03 Aug 2004

take it step by step.

check if it is set as a slave or as the master. you can do this by checking the jumpers at the back of each drive

if you have a knowledge, go into your bios and check if it is recognised there as a dvd.
if it is not are you sure it is a dvd drive?

if it is are you sure the correct drivers are installed? go to manufacturers web site and check.

try these first, but be patient do nothing rash

imzy 23:45 03 Aug 2004

Right. I have taken a deep calming breath and gone in to my bios. It does definently say that there is a DVD drive there, but I have gone into the IDE Devices in the BIOS and it has this information:

PRIMARY IDE MASTER MAXATOR 4K040H2
PRIMARY IDE SLAVE NOT INSTALLED
SECONDARY IDE MASTER CD RW
SECONDARYIDE SLAVE HITACHI DVD-RON GD

ANyone make any sense of that, and what should I do next.

Cheers

Chegs ® 23:48 03 Aug 2004

Try deleting them in "Device Manager" then reboot and see if second time round windows gets it right.

imzy 23:51 03 Aug 2004

Do you mean all the drives or just the DVD drive?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires