DVD Drive not reading blank discs

mark-pc 08:41 20 Jun 2010

My DVD drive will read written discs but will not see blank ones. I have tried 3 different types to no avail. In Explorer my drive displays as
DVD-RAM (D:). When I insert a blank DVD the drive in explorer changes to CD Drive (D:). When I then click on that, I get an error displayed
"D:\ is not accessible - Incorrect function"

I have tried deleting the drive in Device Manager and restarting the PC.

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Atlantic Man 09:53 20 Jun 2010

Do not delete the drive, if you do that you may not be able to use it anymore- however windows will re-insert the driver, i think, cause it is plug and play hardware.

Make sure the disk you use is a DVD- cause if you insert a normal disk it would change to CD-drive- also make sure that DVD is written on the frontside of the dvd-rom.

Otherwise it could be a spyware hi-jack- download free Mallware-bytes and scan PC

Cheers

eedcam 10:02 20 Jun 2010

That is probably just windows usual uselessness .Mines always shows that but every other burner on my pc sees the blank .
Install something decent like Imgburn its free and is a very good burner
click here

mark-pc 09:18 21 Jun 2010

Thanks for the info.

I deleted the drive and it reinstalled successfully.

I certainly used a DVD but the drive is changing to CD.

eedcam, are you suggesting that a burner might read the disk where Windows isn't?

eedcam 18:24 21 Jun 2010

Not suggesting. It will. Imgburn will even telll you the make of disc etc., As I said In explorer I get the same result as you do but ass I would never contemplate using windows for burning And all my other burners see it
OK so never use explore

mark-pc 21:29 21 Jun 2010

Thank you. The free version of Imgburn will only burn CD's and not DVD's. I have Roxio and have tried that - its works fine!

eedcam 22:06 21 Jun 2010

Thats funny I burn on average 2 dvd;s aweek with imgburn you must have some other problem.

mark-pc 22:59 21 Jun 2010

I didn't try it. On the website it says that the free version will only burn CD's.

northumbria61 23:48 21 Jun 2010

IMGBURN - for CD/DVD/HD-DVD/BLUE RAY - download from here -

click here

ashdav 23:51 21 Jun 2010

Are you using XP?
As I recall it doesn't support DVDs natively hence why the drive shows CD.
You have to use third party software such as Roxio,Nero,etc.
It's not a fault as such just the limitations of XP.

eedcam 05:47 22 Jun 2010

Mark you loked at the wrong bit you should have scrolled down the page to the next paragraph.You can have a dvd burning with imgburn by the time roxio would still be loading

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017