DVD drive not playing DVD's but plays CD's

Sparkly 14:12 21 Jul 2009

Hi all on a friends pc that has an LG dvd drive it refuses to play any DVD's that are inserted it just recognises the drive and says that no disc is in the drive. but if you put a music cd in it recognises the cd and plays it with no problem, I can remember readind threads that told you to remove some upper/lower filters can anyone advise as it has not seen dvd's inserted for about 6 months now so im told. he has installed Nero 8 Roxio Easy Media Creator 7. As he has gone on his hols and left it with me to try and get it running again im reluctant to uninstall anything in case he does not have discs to reinstall, i have just tried to erase a dvd-rw with nero but it just has the DVD drive listed but greyed out so am unable to start the erase disc procedure...any thoughts please.

xania 14:22 21 Jul 2009

My understanding is that these devices have two sets of heads (both read and write) one for CD's and one for DVD's. It oculd be that your DVD read heads either knackered or dirty. Try cleaning the heads and try again. Otherwise, its a replacement job.

DieSse 14:59 21 Jul 2009

Faulty drive - prolly a problem with the DVD laser or associated circuitry.

The filter issue stops the whole drive from being found.

Stuartli 15:29 21 Jul 2009

As stated, because DVDs and CDs use different wavelengths to read the information on the their respective disks, there are dual lasers on the pickup unit.

It would appear that the DVD laser has gone kaput - replacement DVD-RW optical drives from top brands cost well under £20 these days.

eedcam 15:32 21 Jul 2009

Its possible for software to lockout the drive .You could install Imgburn its free and perfectly harmless and can be removed with no after effects.Once installed open it insert a disc blank or used click on verify disc and if Imgburn finds it its not the drive
click here NOTE scroll down to the second box to get Imgburn

Sparkly 16:29 21 Jul 2009

Thanks guys just replaced it with a spare of mine and all works well, thanks all for your replys.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?