DVD Drive and external harddrive dont load

texydog 12:40 03 Aug 2009

When i start up pc either my external hard drive or dvd drive won't load up properly, also if they do load up the ext hard drive will suddenly become not accessable. I then have to keep rebooting to try and get them working again. Also on start up pc keeps scanning external hard drive for irregularities, if i run this it deletes stored files.I am using vista wich has caused no problems until now.

theDarkness 17:41 03 Aug 2009

did you or anyone install anything at all before your system started playing up, or used any system related programs that could have deleted vital files? have you been able to use both drives before in the same laptop? i would scan all external and internal hds for viruses. Check your hds/dvd drives are plugged in ok with good power and communication leads, and windows is up to date. Are both your problematic drives external? You could try inserting your vista disc, it may be able to find missing windows components that are perhaps preventing your system from working 100%. If you manage to backup all your major files to disc and nothing is helping i would reinstall if i did not have alot on the system

texydog 14:39 04 Aug 2009

Nothing new has been installed. DVD drive is internal and I have a internal and external harddrive. internal hd is ok but external hd is the one playing up. it's pot luck on wether dvd writer or ext hd load, and if they do load its only a matter of time before one is not reconised on pc. On start up this pc always does a scan on ext hd for inconsistancies, which i have to bypass or i can't access it at all.

woodchip 14:50 04 Aug 2009

You have errors on you Ex Drive otherwise Widows would not scan and try to fix it, My suggestion is if you can get all your stuff of the Drive, is then Do a full Clean and check of the Drive using Windows Check Disc

texydog 16:12 04 Aug 2009

Thinking about it i have recently installed a new power supply unit, my previous one burnt out. i have rechecked all connections and they are ok. all connections were marked so everything was reconnected correctly. the only difference is the new psu is a stonger unit.

woodchip 17:53 04 Aug 2009

It may have done other Damage, than what you first see

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?