DVD Drive Connection to ASUS Motherboard

technomong 19:16 26 Jan 2007

I'm trying to build a PC using an ASUS A8V-VM SE Motherboard, and have got as far as discovering that the DVD Drive I bought didn't come with any cabling. I'm happy that i'll need the relevant 3 pin connector for the audio, but as the connector from the DVD Drive is SATA, i'm not sure if I have the option of connecting to the spare SATA slot on the motherboard *the other SATA quite happily connected to the HDD), or if I must buy a cable to convert the SATA into IDE, and if I would lose any data transfer speed by doing so. I would appreciate any help on this one!

Gongoozler 19:24 26 Jan 2007

Although I'm not familiar with SATA, I don't see any problem with connecting your SATA DVD drive to any spare SATA motherboard connector. If you run out of motherboard SATA connectors, you can buy a PCI SATA card.

Totally-braindead 19:28 26 Jan 2007

I have SATA but I don't have a SATA DVD, only hard drives, ASUS tend to supply all the relevant leads so as far as I know the SATA DVD drive would just connect to the spare SATA connector on the motherboard.

Gongoozler 20:28 26 Jan 2007

You probably don't need the audio lead, that's a bit old hat these days as it's for analogue audio and the audio is now almost always digital.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?