DVD Drive changed into CD Drive

jayrbush 20:43 05 Mar 2014

Hello again people more trouble with my comp! I ve just noticed that my dvd drive has turned into a cd drive and cant figure out whay or how to fix it? Could someone maybe help please?

rdave13 20:52 05 Mar 2014

If it doesn't 'see' DVDs then it might be the laser (diode) has failed. You could try a lens cleaner.

jayrbush 20:53 05 Mar 2014

its not that it actually says cd drive on my comp, dony knwo why as its a dvd drive

bumpkin 21:06 05 Mar 2014

Does it work as a DVD is the main thing.

jayrbush 21:11 05 Mar 2014

well ive just popped a film in and it recognises it but when i double click it it doesnt play but opens up the file so i can see the ts files

jayrbush 21:13 05 Mar 2014

oh and it wont burn a dvd

rdave13 21:27 05 Mar 2014

Still think it may be a laser problem but you could try going to device manager, expand DVD/CD-ROM drives, right click the drive and select uninstall. Click OK to the warning and the easiest way to reinstall the driver is to reboot. If still the same then it's a physical fault I think and the drive will need replacing. It's a rare occurrence but does happen.

Wait until others might have a better solution to try first, though, just in case.

jayrbush 21:32 05 Mar 2014

yeah ive tried that. its weird cause it said dvd drive on my computer the other day

lotvic 21:32 05 Mar 2014

"just noticed that my dvd drive has turned into a cd drive"

explain where you've noticed this. If you are using XP then it is normal for DVD to be described under 'Type' as a CD drive.

lotvic 21:34 05 Mar 2014

gosh, I'm slow posting tonight... and I should have refreshed page first.

jayrbush 21:35 05 Mar 2014

i noticed it yesterday and im running windows 8

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires