DVD drive cannot start

Dave22Fair 09:19 04 Oct 2010

Vista on HP Pavilion laptop DV6620ea. I have just found that the DVD drive is no longer available. It is visible in device manager and when I look at Properties I get "The device cannot start(Code 10)". When I run Check for Solutions, I get "cannot load driver" and then the app ends without achieving anything. Maybe connected or not, but since I got the laptop I have successfully used the inbuilt backup software, saving to DVD RAM discs. This I found to be a good way of backing up files on a rewritable media. But for a few weeks now this has no longer worked, with the software demanding that the disc be formatted, resulting in a discs that are full or cannot be formatted.

Help please

Dave

woodchip 09:57 04 Oct 2010

Go to Device Manager and Uninstall the DVD drive then restart for windows to reload the Driver

Dave22Fair 19:48 05 Oct 2010

Thanks for the advice. I have uninstalled the driver and restarted. Windows identifies something is missing, searches for a new driver and re installs from C: The problem still exists and the DVD drive is not visible on Computer but is there on Device Manager with the same fault code as before. Any further ideas please?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone