DVD drive

kerses 20:40 13 Aug 2009

Repeatedly getting burn failure and report of tracking servo failure, sometimes after nearly two hours of apparent burning. I gather this suggests a failure of the drive. Can someone confirm please before I buy a new drive.
kerses

MAT ALAN 20:44 13 Aug 2009

I think this is a media issue rather than hardware, try with a different disc...

When i say different disc i mean completely, make and type of media...

Stuartli 23:26 13 Aug 2009

Try Uninstalling the drive from Device Manager and Rebooting.

If that doesn't cure the problem it's likely a new optical drive is needed - top brand, top spec models now well under £20.

kerses 16:29 14 Aug 2009

Many thanks to Mst Alan and Stuartli. The media one I have tried several, RW and R of different makes. No luck with that. Wills give the uninstall and reboot a go now. Will report how that goes. No problem getting a new drive if needed.
kerses

Stuartli 16:34 14 Aug 2009

Compared to ROM drives, rewriters are not very robust lifespan wise.

Which is why I use a DVD-ROM (somewhat ancient Pioneer 116) for software installations, listening to audio CDs etc and reserving the DVD rewriter purely for burning purposes.

It's also the reason why my then six-year-old TDK Cyclone CD rewriter was still working perfectly when I decided that it was time for a DVD equivalent a couple of years ago; it's now a reserve drive for any emergencies.

kerses 22:46 24 Aug 2009

Sorry for delay but many thanks to all. Now have a new writer from Play.com and all going well.
kerses

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Interview: Camille Walala on her giant 3D installation inspired by childhood funfair visits

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Où regarder le British Open 2017 ?