dvd drive

the kopite 09:16 27 Mar 2007

Hi All Yesterday I inserted a disc in my DVD drive and my computer shut down and went into stand by mode. It would not reboot until I removed the disc. This morning exactly the same thing happend with my cd rw drive which had previously been fine. Both drives are reconised in the bios and in hardware manager which says both drives are working normaly?. At first I thought my dvd drive had packed up but now it is happening with the cd drive I am puzzeld. Any idease please thanks Kopite

ArrGee 10:43 27 Mar 2007

Can't really think of any one particular problem associated to this happening, but it might be worth running this and see what problems it locates:

click here

Totally-braindead 10:48 27 Mar 2007

Its not Vista you're using is it? Only reason I ask is theres a couple of people in the Vista Forum got drive problems.

the kopite 18:13 28 Mar 2007

Hi Guys thank you for your replies. Totally I am using win xp ArrGee downloaded and ran the program it found quite a few problems but failed to remedy mine. I am at a total loss and can only think mt dvd drive has failed kopite

ArrGee 16:18 29 Mar 2007

Have you tried going back to a restore point before this started happening?

the kopite 01:08 30 Mar 2007

yes tried a restore ArrGee ?

postie24 10:10 30 Mar 2007

Hi the kopite,try removing the upper and lower filters in the registry,this sometimes helps to resolve optical drive problems

Create a restore point 1st,then follow these instructions. 1. Click on Start --> Run --> and type in 'regedit' followed by the enter key
2. Expand the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" key (looks like a folder) by double clicking it (or
3. clicking the "+" next to it.)
4. Expand the "SYSTEM" Key
5. Expand the "CurrentControlSet" Key
6. Expand the "Control" Key
7. Expand the "Class" Key
8. Please look for a key containing the following string of letter and numbers:
{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
9. High light this key by left clicking once on it
10. On the right hand side you are looking for "UpperFilters" and "LowerFilters" under the "Name" column, once you find these please delete them by right clicking on them and choosing "delete"
11, exit the registry,
Reboot pc

Postie24

the kopite 08:00 05 Apr 2007

Hi Guys sorry for the delay I was hospitalised. I have solved my problem it was the psu. I had ordered a new case with a branded psu and when I arrived home from hospital I installed it booted up and all is fine. My previous psu although rated at 420 watts was obviously not able to cope. Thank you for your replies Kopite

Stuartli 08:20 05 Apr 2007

An optical drive would be only a very minor drain on a PSU - more likely the PSU was faulty or on its last legs.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone