D.V.D. divided in Regions.

nerawan 11:03 19 Jan 2004

Hi..I know that the D.VC.D. format has been divided in different regions acrooss the world...My question is: If I take a laptop bought here in U.K. can work in other places like North or South America...Wich ones are the limitations?...Thank in advance.

A Cat Called George 11:06 19 Jan 2004

You should be able to change your dvd drive's region setting to the one you need where you are going. It is usually possible to this a limited number of times before the setting becomes permanent.

Jester2K 11:08 19 Jan 2004

The DVD Player will play in different regions. What matters is the Region Coding on the DVD. For example if you DVD drive is locked to Region 2 (Europe) then no matter where you are in the world you can only play Region 2 discs (or region-less discs)

Look on the back of a DVD box and you'll see a black and white symbol with a number showing the disc region.

The Regions - click here

nerawan 11:42 19 Jan 2004

Thanks for the answers but still not clear at all...To be more specific. I want to buy a laptop and record all my music in D.V.D. Later i about 2 months send it to a niece in South America, wich has a diff. code...What problems or limitations can she find?
How to change the seettings you mentioned...Thanks again.

Jester2K 11:53 19 Jan 2004

If you are burning your own DVDs then you will have no problems asw you can't region encode the DVD. It will be "Region-less" and be playable on all DVD Players regardless of their region.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?