DVD disks longevity

281apple 18:02 27 Apr 2008

Two years ago I burned most of my old VHS films onto DVD's and I have just heard that the lifetime of DVD's is not eternal. I took a look at five of my burned DVD's and discovered that they have become partially depixelised and the quality which was initially about 8/10 is now only about 4/10. If the life of my DVD is only about two years, I would like to know if this is my individual problem or does this happen to about everyone. And what can I do to get my video family films to last many years?

eedcam 18:07 27 Apr 2008

Pray tell what brand did you use perhaps others that have also noticed this might like to add .It would be very informative as to whether X brand or Y brand is worth the extra

281apple 06:38 28 Apr 2008

To eedcam: Most of them are Memorex, Philipps and Sony brands. I must admit that the Sony disks seem to be in better shape than Philipps and Memorex.

eedcam 07:37 28 Apr 2008

Thanks Not surprised about the first 2 I hope others might post with their findings.You are aware that the name on the dvd is not always who they are made by

€dstowe 08:42 28 Apr 2008

Take comfort in knowing that video tape is not everlasting either. Some tapes I've had for about five years are now next to useless - a variety of brands none better or worse than others. Although the VHS-HS are somewhat better they are not the quality I would have hoped for.

jack 10:28 28 Apr 2008

Are not permanent,
They structure is a dye coating - the molecular alignment of which changes under the laser.
In time- this reverts/fades .
The various makers/brands are always researching the issue-
A Google for the topic will keep you up to date.
Meanwhile, all one can to is to replace/copy on a regular[annual?] basis.

281apple 10:52 28 Apr 2008

Thanks guys for the feedback. Jack, replace/copy them would be hell for me because I've even got 8mm back to 1949 and the originals are now impossible to salvage. What about "Screen Play" which is an IOMEGA external hard disk for multimedia on which I could stock films from my computer and play them on any other computer and even on a TV screen. My question is to know how long they could retain original quality. Anyone know the answer please?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?