DVD disc's in DVD ROM

iqs 16:48 14 Nov 2007

Hello,

My DVD ROM drive does not like blank media,DVD-R DVD+RW and CDR.But it will play/open these disc's with media content.

Is this normal.Thanks

SANTOS7 16:56 14 Nov 2007

Not quite sure what you mean if the media is blank there is nothing too like!!! and it plays them OK..

Puzzled...

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:25 14 Nov 2007

Mine is simular
I have CD set as first boot device, if I forget and leave a blank CD /DVD in the drive the PC will not boot.

iqs 20:01 14 Nov 2007

I will try and explain again...

When I place a blank disc in the DVDRW drive,a screen appears showing the disc is empty.

When the same disc is placed in the DVDROM drive,the drive attempts to read the disc.No screen appears,and the drive just continues to spin and spin.The light on the drive is flashing.

If I place a DVD or CD disc which has data for example in the DVDROM drive ,the screen appears showing the contents.

I hope this explains it a little better.

Thanks

lotvic 20:20 14 Nov 2007

The solution is simple:
Do not put blank CD or DVD disks in the DVDROM drive.

There is no earthly reason to as the drive is not designed to do anything with them.

No wonder it gets itself in a spin - it doesn't know what to do with it.

DieSse 00:50 15 Nov 2007

"Is this normal."

The answer is - yes it's normal.

A blank is not like a floppy or hard drive with no files on it. It's totally empty - bereft of any information about itself, not even any information to say it's empty. A DVD-ROM drive isn't designed to detect it's a blank, as it can't use it for anything anyway.

iqs 21:25 15 Nov 2007

to you all for helping with this question.Many thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?