DVD Copying Problem

AlanHo 01:04 28 Dec 2006

I made a couple of videos over the holiday period which I burned onto DVD's to show friends using the lounge TV. As usual, I used Nero to burn the DVD-R discs and they worked fine in my Panasonic DVD player/recorder.

Some friends requested copies - so today I loaded Nero to make disc copies - but got an error message stating that the source disc was 20 GB and the copy would not fit onto the 4.7 GB blank DVD. Windows Explorer confirmed my source disc was 4.7 GB with 412 MB of files.

This mystified me because I am using standard 4.7 GB single layer DVD-R discs - I do not believe it is possible for them to contain 20 GB of files.

I can copy CD's no problem - but copying DVD's does not work.

I have uninstalled Nero 6, cleaned the registry of all residual traces and reinstalled from scratch - same result. I have also uninstalled my DVD ROM and DVD burner drives and let Windows reinstall them without it solving the problem.

After much head scratching and playing about, I eventually tried copying a commercial video and it worked fine - it is just my home made DVD's that are a problem.

I have managed to produce the videos required by friends by burning them to the DVD's using the video file stored on the computer hard drive - again using Nero - so the burner seems to be OK.

Anyone any idea why it will not copy a home made DVD disc though....?

AlanHo 14:32 28 Dec 2006

PROBLEM SOLVED

I eventually decided that I had a duff DVD RAM or DVD ROM drive - but which?

So I bought a new DVD burner on the bsis that it could be substituted for either drive. I first swapped out my DVD ROM drive and the problem was resolved.

I now have two burners that both work.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?