DVD Codes

douglas1973 15:48 22 Mar 2006

Up to today I have played DVD movies on my computer without any problems.
However, I have just bought a Wallace & Gromit DVD in our local Woolworths and after inserting it in my DVD/R/RW drive on my computer I am asked to ENTER CODE. Why is this hapenning?
All my other DVD movies play without a code being requested and if I put the Wallace & Gromit DVD in my Phillips DVD player connected to my computer I am not asked to ENTER CODE and it plays without any problems.
How can I resolve this problem?

ACOLYTE 16:00 22 Mar 2006

Does the DVD have interactive content? it may be u need a code for this.It also may be a copy protect feature as it doesnt do it when not put in a burner drive.

douglas1973 18:00 22 Mar 2006

Thanks Acolyte,
As I have said it is a Wallace & Gromit movie. Whether it has "interactive" content, I haven't a clue as I really don't know exactly what interactive content is. Presumably some of the other movie DVDs that I view on my computer are similar to the Wallace & Gromit movie.
If I need a code what would be the code? I think the code is something to do with a regional code but why should I need a regional code for a legitimate DVD movie bought in the U.K.?
I went to Woolworths to ask what I should do and needless to say they were clueless. The shop assistant put it in a DVD player connected to a TV and it played without any problems, just as it does on my DVD player connected to my TV.

ACOLYTE 18:06 22 Mar 2006

Then it may be a copy protect feature on that DVD
as it plays fine when put into anything but a DVD burner,try it in another burner if you can see if it asks for a code.The code may be on the case?

Interactive content is things like games/screensavers desktop wallpaper.

The region code is 2 for uk is your DVD player set to this?

douglas1973 18:26 22 Mar 2006

Thanks Acolyte,
Your prompt response is much appreciated.
I am afraid I have not got another DVD burner.
I have tried every number on the case and nothing works.
Thanks for the explanation of "interactive content". I should have known what you have explained. Yes, the DVD has got extras such as screensavers, desktop wallpaper, etc.
How do I find out if the DVD player is set to region 2? Presumably it is otherwise it would not play my other DVD movies.
I think your hunch that the DVD is asking for a code because it has been inserted in a DVD/R/RW drive is more than likely correct but I have not come across this before. I suppose it is a new feature introduced to stop pirating.

ACOLYTE 18:31 22 Mar 2006

To check the region, right click My computer select properties/hardware/device manager highlight you DVD drive and right click select properties then select the DVD Region tab.

douglas1973 19:37 22 Mar 2006

Thanks Acolyte,

The DVD drive is set to Regions 2.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone