DVD and CD Rewriters - Do they conflict?

glen2409 20:34 10 Nov 2004

Hi,

I have A DVD rewriter as a master device and a cd-rw as a secondary device. Will they conflict with each other when I burn discs?

I ask this as i ahve noticed recent problems with my emprex DVD-RW taking up alot of processor,freezing and alot of buffer underruns when I burn.

Thanks

Cuddles 22:22 10 Nov 2004

Yes they probably will conflict, you should have one cd/dvd device as slave on your hard drive ribbon cable, the other device should be as master on the other ide.

glen2409 22:27 10 Nov 2004

Thanks for the reply.

I have 2 hard drives as well, one for taking Ghost images. I take it that cancels that option

The Spires 22:49 10 Nov 2004

You can have it either way, a while ago having a writer in the same IDE port as a hard drive would slow the hard drive down but that isn't a problem anymore. I personally have two hard drives on one IDE and a Cd writer & a DVD writer in the other port (master & seconadary) as I have done for a while. No problems. Some prefer the other way around.

glen2409 23:11 10 Nov 2004

Thanks for the reply.

Are you saying i can run one hard drive and the cdr/w on one ide and the other hard drive and cdrw on the other?

TomJerry 00:01 11 Nov 2004

do not mixe cd-rom (slow transfer rate 33MB/s) with HDD (faster 100MB/s or 133MB/s) on the same cable, it will slow your HDD down.

What you did is correct.

If you are worry, get a IDE controller card to get two more extra IDE channnels for you £12 click here

ventanas 08:42 11 Nov 2004

I have exactly the same as you. dvd-rw as secondary master and cd-rw as secondary slave. I use Roxio EasyCD 6. No conflicts and no problems. Roxio adjusts to whichever drive has a disc in it.

Stuartli 09:53 11 Nov 2004

To supplement ventanas's comments, Nero provides the facility to select the drive to be used if you have more than one rewriter.

glen2409 19:48 11 Nov 2004

I take it I need to keep my dvd -rw as a master and cd-rw as slave on the same ide. And the 2 hard drives on the same ide. I just wondered what was affecting my dvd-rw all of a sudden

Thanks for your replies and any further help would be appreciated

g0nvs 19:51 11 Nov 2004

No they will not conflict. Have both here and using Nero 6.

glen2409 19:55 11 Nov 2004

You have the dvd-rw and cd-rw on the same ide cable as master and slave. I use nero 6 and the cd-rw is fine but noticed dvd-rw is playing up and using up all the cpu and freezing the pc with buffer underruns. May be the new firmware.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017