DVD and CD drivers causing crash

Cliff-193952 13:44 12 Sep 2006

I am running XP home, Athlon64 processor,
1024RAM. If I try to run a DVD or CD of data (photographs) in either of the internal drives I have (D & E) (DVD Sony DW-U18A, CD Sony CRX-230ED) it causes my machine to crash. I get a blue screen, the computer reboots by itself and then I receive a 'recovery from major failure' message. On an error report being sent to Microsoft I am told that the CD/DVD drivers have caused the problem. However, on checking the two devices via device manager I am told that both are working properly, and a check for updated drivers reveals that I have the latest. Factory made DVDs/CDs do not autorun, but they do not cause a crash. I have to open them from 'run'. Allied with this, I also have a problem running other devices that include (my own) photographs - a Maxtor external hard drive and a Sony 'Handy Drive' (Both USB) The Sony is not now recognised and the Maxtor again causes the PC to crash. Both work perfectly OK on my laptop. Any ideas please as to what is going wrong, or how I might effect a cure?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:08 12 Sep 2006

first of all try a repair of XP
Repair XP by replacing corrupt files
Type

sfc /scannow

in the run box, press enter and let system file checker find and replace missing / corrupt file in windows and explorer.This will take awhile to complete and you may be asked for the CD to be in the drive if windows is not preinstalled on the hard drive.

sfc /scannow problems
click here

Autoreboot
Open System Properties via Start > Control Panel > Performance and Maintenance > System
[ System Properties may also be opened using the WinKey+Pause key combination ]
Select the Advanced tab and then click Settings in the Startup and Recovery section
In System Failure section, clear the checkbox next to Automatically Restart
Click OK and OK to exit
Now you should be able to see the error message when windows crashes.
Post the message here for further help.

Cliff-193952 15:00 12 Sep 2006

Thanks for this - however, on typing 'sfc/scannow' in the run box, I get the message 'windows cannot find sfc/scannow'

VoG II 15:03 12 Sep 2006

There is a space before the /

click here

jimv7 15:06 12 Sep 2006

As Fruit Bat /\0/\ has said sfc /scannow, note the space between sfc and /scannow.

Cliff-193952 19:25 12 Sep 2006

Doh, thank you for pointing out the need for the gap. I've now run sfc /scannow. I received no message when it had finished. Does that mean (a) that it found no errors, and/or (b) that it has fixed any it has found?

Wasn't sure of the purpose of that part of Fruit Bat /\0/\'s response headed 'autoreboot'. Should I do that if my problem continues?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?