DVD CD access lost

jeffjohn 11:58 06 Sep 2008

DVD/CD lost!

I upgraded to XP Home with SP3 but have lost access to the Optical Drives. The BIOS correctly identifies them but Boot is very very slow with the drives flashing. [If I disconnect them, Boot is fast]. They do not appear in Device Manager. In Registry there is no chain UpperFilters or LowerFilters.

I have tried disconnecting/rebooting etc what else can I try?? They worked in WIN98Se and allow Boot Disks such as XP and Linux.

Thanks for any thoughts, Jeff

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:04 06 Sep 2008

Check the jumper settings on the drives
if both on same drive then need to be set master and slave.

jeffjohn 14:24 06 Sep 2008

Re jumpers; with two drives, BIOS correctly identifies Master and Slave and identifies the make and models. I removed the Slave, same problem. No problems with ext USB drives or anything else. Nothing shown in Device manager under Secondary IDE ATAPI. Did the install fail in some way? I had both working drives attached at the time. Incidentally would the R (repair) option work on the install disk?

jeffjohn 19:37 06 Sep 2008

thanks , especially to Fruit bat!

not sure why but have resolved the problem; I took the secondary drive cable to the so called 100 bios skts and r-booted and all works fine!

Can't say why, but hell it all works!!!

thanks greatly for your support! Jeff

jeffjohn 21:44 06 Sep 2008

many thanks Fruit bat! Don't really understand how or why but I plugged the secondary cable into the second pair of primary/sec on the Asus a7v MB and rebooted and all worked perfectly; never had to do this before but as it works, who cares!

System now stable and working!

Many thanks for your kind inputs, Jeff

jeffjohn 11:30 07 Sep 2008

thanks for all the help with this - the problem was a hardware one! My Asus A7V has two pairs of IDE connectors, one DMA66 and the other DMA100; apparently the PC had been using the DMA66 which was fine under WIN98Se but not XP. I switched over and all was instantly working! I'm embarrassed as in my business life I always said "first check the connections!" thanks again Jeff

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?