DVD burner won't burn properly - Why???

natbates78 10:05 23 Jul 2009

I have a HP desktop PC with Vista Home Premium and an ATAPI DVD-RW. I've never had any problems with it but I recently had a complete computer breakdown and had to use my HP Recovery DVD to completely wipe the hard drive, and basically start again. Everything is working ok now, but I can't seem to burn anything to DVD properly. I use ConvertXtoDVD to convert AVI files to DVD. This all worked properly before the recovery but now, when I try to burn a DVD the convert program tells me everything has burned ok, but the disc won't play in my DVD player and it's like the disc is blank. I can't understand why. It reads discs ok (They are TDKs so not cheap rubbish) and was using these discs before without any problem. I have not tried to burn a CD yet but think the CD and DVD part of the drive are sort of separate anyway, or maybe use a different laser? Any help with ideas I could try before buying a new DVD drive would be much appreciated!

Graphicool1 10:28 23 Jul 2009

If you have the have the installation disk, you could try reinstalling it. Or download and run this click here and get the latest drivers. Or do both!

ened 10:40 23 Jul 2009

Try a different programme.

I use this one and it has worked everytime.

click here

Stuartli 11:06 23 Jul 2009

Try Uninstalling the rewriter from Device Manager and Rebooting.

Windows should Find New Hardware and Reinstall the basic CDROM driver, which is all that is required for optical drives. The functions of a rewriter are controlled by burning software such as Nero or EasyCD.

T I M B O 11:13 23 Jul 2009

From dvd or pc to dvd >>click here

From dvd to pc >>click here

They work beautifully.

natbates78 12:13 24 Jul 2009

I've tried different burning programmes - no good. Checked the device manager, all says fine. I've tried to update the driver but it says I'm using the most up to date driver available.
I'm running out of options now.
A CD burns fine, without a problem. I just can't burn films to DVD (And yes, it is definitely a DVD re-writer!)

Stuartli 12:31 24 Jul 2009

Sounds as if the DVD laser has gone kaput.

New top brand DVD rewriters cost well under £20 these days.

maghemite 12:53 24 Jul 2009

Are the DVDs refusing to play only on standalone DVD players, or on the same drive too? If the drive is able to read them, but the standalone player cannot, then it might because it requires a different 'format' i.e. some older players don't recognize DVD-R or DVD+R discs.

Whenever you burn a DVD destined for playback, it's best to set the booktype to 'DVD-ROM'.

gazzaho 14:28 24 Jul 2009

One thing you can check before anything else is the upper and lower filters in the registry, sometimes they can get corrupted and this leads to all sorts of problems. I had some disks fail on me after installing the SP2 patch for Vista, 5 disks out of 10 to be exact, something I never had happen before. Check this MS article click here it may be worth trying, you may have to reinstall your DVD burning software after the fix, I had to reinstall Nero and iTunes myself.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?