DVD burner doesn't see blank disks

Jonno131 15:35 13 Jul 2006

I'm having a strange problem with my DVD burner - Emprex 16x. It is only recognising DVDs with data already on them - data or DVD. Windows Explorer doesn't show any data for a blank disk and System Information shows no media present. BUT, I can burn data to the disk. Right clicking and clicking "Explore"produces the message "Drive not accessible. Incorrect function". If I try to burn a DVD, with Nero or Intervideo Win DVD Creator, they go through the encoding process until it comes to burn time then dont go any further. I've tried encoding the video files and burning as a data disk, but no joy. I've just done a full reinstall of XP Home with SP2 and all updates. Does anyone have any suggestions please?

woodchip 15:42 13 Jul 2006

Windows Explorer doesn't show any data for a blank disk. That makes sense.
How can you see anything if you have not put anything on it.

If you are using Windows XP burner it does not work With DVD's as far as I know. You need to use something like NERO

woodchip 15:44 13 Jul 2006

Windows Explorer doesn't show any data for a blank disk. That makes sense.
How can you see anything if you have not put anything on it.

If you are using Windows XP burner it does not work With DVD's as far as I know. You need to use something like NERO. Or use this Free Program. I have used it and it's good for free. click here

Joe R 15:45 13 Jul 2006

Jonno131,

have you tried different types of dvd's. ?

Jonno131 16:21 13 Jul 2006

Joe R - Yes I've tried several different makes - all reputable..

Woodchip - when I say Explorer doesn't show any data I mean it doesn't even show that there is a disk there. Thanks for the link - I'll try it but I think my problem goes deeper than the software used as I'm getting the same result with two different packages plus System Information..

No idea 19:27 13 Jul 2006

Just a thought, is this a newly installed drive, and if so have you set it to either master or slave on the ide channel and are both ide channels set up in bios?

Jonno131 21:08 13 Jul 2006

Thanks Jumpers. It's the same drive I've had for about a year. It burned DVDs quite happily until just before I did the reinstall. The drive is being seen OK at Bootup and according to Device Manager it's working OK. (Dont you just love it when Windows tells you you're imagining things?). Something I should perhaps have mentioned is that I've got a big yellow question mark beside Video Controller in Device Manager and a Drivers not installed in Properties, but I've been looking at that as a separate problem. Cant see how that should affect DVD burning but I'm open to suggestions.

woodchip 22:20 13 Jul 2006

Motherboard Drivers need loading, that Control EIDE

Joe R 22:24 13 Jul 2006

Jonno131,
go into my computer, right click on the drive, select properties-recording, and ensure the "enable cd recording on this drive" is ticked.

phono 22:49 13 Jul 2006

Is it possible that Nero and Win DVD Creator are conflicting? I know that some combinations of CD/DVD authoring software can cause problems, did this combination of software work before for you? Try uninstalling one of them and see if that helps.

I personally use Nero and have no problems, I have two DVD burners connected and neither have the "enable cd recording on this drive" selected and both work perfectly so I don't believe that is your problem, in fact if selected it may well be the cause of your problems.

Jonno131 07:35 14 Jul 2006

Thanks everyone. I have previously tried running both progs with the other uninstalled and it didn't help, BUT Joe R, I've just enabled CD recording as you suggested and Explorer is seeing blank disks. Fingers crossed I'll try burning a DVD and report back.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone