DVD AUTOPLAY PROBLEMS

AngelofDeath 22:30 18 Mar 2006

Hi,
I recently found a pc that had been thrown out for the dustman, i replaced some defective memory, added a new sound card, graphics card and added a wireless connection. The only remaining problem is that the DVD drive will not autoplay dvd games but will cd games. I have checked within the registry and the pc setup menu to ensure that the autoplay facility is enabled. I will if need be replace the drive, but if anybody has any suggestions, feel free.

The pc is a 1.7Ghz Athlon 2000+ processor
it is running windows xp
FX5200, 256MB PCI graphics card
1 gig of memory
cd re-writer
dvd rom drive

Angel

wbiggchiefy 22:36 18 Mar 2006

What games are u trying to play - maybe they are too demanding being that games on CD work OK - could be not enough RAM, Processor Speed , etc...

Chiefy

wbiggchiefy 22:39 18 Mar 2006

Also look for updated firmware re the DVDrom drive - this may help.

Chiefy

AngelofDeath 22:54 18 Mar 2006

Hi,

The games i am trying to load are UT2004 and Civilization IV, the pc meets the system requirements as printed on the dvd boxes. As for the drivers, that is one area i have considered. The disc drive has no manufacturers name printed on it and i have not been able to remove the drive from its bay to check it. I cannot find a method of releasing it from the bay, it is a front loaded into the bay, and i have removed the screws but i cannot shift it.

Angel

wbiggchiefy 23:05 18 Mar 2006

Don't suppose u have another drive you could try
(eg from your main pc)

Also if u back everything up regularly and back EVERYTHING up now you could clean instsll windows xp (or whatever)!

Chiefy

AngelofDeath 07:07 19 Mar 2006

Hi,

If somebody knows what i need to release on a TIME PC to get the drive from its bay i would be grateful, as i said i have removed the only holding screw i could find but i have been unable to shift it from its bay, it seems to be an externally fitted drive unlike my Dell. So if there is a clip or whatever i need to release so i can remove it i can certainly try another drive.

Angel

VoG II 08:22 19 Mar 2006

You could try click here first.

AngelofDeath 10:18 19 Mar 2006

Hi,
Thanks for the programme, but it still shows that there is an unspecified fault that it was unable to correct, so it looks like i will have to replace the drive when i can work out how to get the old drive out of its bay.

Angel

wbiggchiefy 22:11 19 Mar 2006

Some drives are fixed in with screws on both sides so you need to remove both side panels of the PC.

Chiefy

AngelofDeath 06:12 20 Mar 2006

Hi,
I had already considered that and removed both panels but found only one screw. Maybe the drive has never been removed before and thats why its reluctant, maybe i just need to use more force.

Angel

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017