DVD All Regions Burning

MJG1946 16:08 05 Jun 2007

I live part time in the UK and Part time in the USA and have friends and family in australasia - I recently bought a JVC Everio hard disc cam corder on which to capture some of our adventures and send them to friends on DVD all over the world ...but this region thing gets in the way ..if I buy a burner in the USA it only burns region 1 ...no good if I want to send the dvd back to the uk and vice versa for the uk ...and no good at all for australia which I think is region 4 ...has anyone got any answers to this problem !! I'm not looking for an ultra cheap solution I'm looking for a slick reliable one and a burner and software ?? I can carry with me - I have a toshiba satellite in the USA and Dell Dimension 3000 here ...HELP !!!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:27 05 Jun 2007

Region setting
There are actually up to 3 region protections on a system:
- 1 in the DVD drive
- 1 in the Operating System (windows) - More info on Windows region management.
- 1 in the software player (eg. WinDVD, PowerDVD...)

When you flash your drive with a region free firmware (RPC-1), you remove the region counter from the drive itself completely, but with this counter gone, the software counters kick in to replace the one from the DVD drive. This means that you still have these other 2 to defeat!!!.
An alternate region free solution that is available for some drives is known as an "Autoreset" firmware: Instead of removing the counter from the drive completely, the counter simply resets itself to an unlocked state when the computer is restarted. This way, the drive appears as region protected (RPC-2) but the counter can be changed indefinitely. Creating autoreset patches is slightly more difficult for the patcher, but makes the life of the user easier because DVD Genie and Region Killer are not required as they are for RPC-1 firmwares.
On the other hand, it's easy for software manufacturers to detect autoreset firmwares, and if they decide to do so, you will still need a software patch in the long run. This is why RPC-1 firmwares are seen by most as the long term solution.

So, unless a program like DISCInfo click here or Drive Region Info tells you that your drive is still protected or you used an autoreset firmware, your drive IS region free, and any region counters that you still see come from software region settings.

To bypass that, you need to use programs such as DVD Genie click here or DVD Region Killer click here (the later is highly recommanded).

Note: Currently, the only software region free solution when using WinDVD Platinum to play DVD's is WinDVD Tweaker Pro ($18.00 US) click here

xvi has written up an excellent article with even more information click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:30 05 Jun 2007

click here

copy the files to your hdd and burn with this to burn region free files.

MJG1946 16:40 05 Jun 2007

So - (Thanks for th responses guys) - it would seem I need any old external dvd burner ansd some region free software to actually do the burning ...have I got that right ??

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:12 05 Jun 2007

No Burn your files to the dvd using your internal drive and DVD decryptor and they should play on any machine in the world.

Its the player that will only play the correct region files if they are encrypted with a region setting.

€dstowe 18:39 05 Jun 2007

Region coding is something inserted by commercial disk manufacturers as a restriction on international trade. It is most unusual, if not unknown, that home produced DVDs or CDs have region coding restrictions on them.

We produce commercial advertising disks for use all over the world - the same disks play in any country. To place region coding on them would be an added cost which is just not worth it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017