DV to USB wires

novicefilmmaker 15:12 18 Nov 2009

Hi there,

I am thinking of buying an Acer Aspire 5738g laptop, as I was advised that it has brilliant memory capacity and I want to use it to edit video footage. The only problem is that the camcorder I planned to use to film is quite old and only has a DV outlet, whereas the Acer laptop hasn't got a firewire outlet or a slot for a converter card. Can I use the USB outlet and buy a DV to USB wire, or is the USB connection too slow for video transfer? Are these very expensive?

Thanks

peter99co 15:24 18 Nov 2009

click here

Or something similar

hastelloy 15:37 18 Nov 2009

I use a DVD recorder to transfer video from camcorder to DVD then copy it to my PC for editing.

novicefilmmaker 16:58 18 Nov 2009

Thanks very much for your replies! Peter99co - do normal USB to DV wires not work with video transfer then? Is it better to go with a kit like the ones you suggest? They seem to be a bit more pricey than normal USB to DV cables I've seen.

I will look into DVD recorders too, but they might be a bit out of my price range.

Alternatively, can anyone suggest a laptop which does have a firewire connection, but also has a large enough memory for video editing and is under £500? Thanks

peter99co 23:10 18 Nov 2009

Which software do you use to take it from DVD to PC?

peter99co 23:12 18 Nov 2009

It is not just a cable you are seeing in the kit.

peter99co 23:14 18 Nov 2009
  hastelloy 01:20 19 Nov 2009

"Which software do you use to take it from DVD to PC?"
Drag & drop or copy and paste.

novicefilmmaker 10:27 19 Nov 2009

Thank you very much. I will check this kit out and also have a look around for other laptops with firewire built in.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?