During software download picked up loads of spam software

manrow 21:32 25 Aug 2014
Answered

Downloading what I thought was software from producers website, but after this was completed, a whole series of spam software followed. I have tried to delete these programs through control panel, but each time a box appears saying 'cannot delete during installation'. Through Windows Task Manager I could see that cpu usage is now 100% so I turned laptop off. Is there a solution to this or is wipe the hard drive and reinstall the sensible option? If so what do I need to save before formatting? All of my images and documents are already backed up, but what about drivers etc? The operating system is Windows 7.

Gordon Freeman 21:52 25 Aug 2014

download the free malwarebytes anti malware, and run that. click here

lotvic 22:29 25 Aug 2014

Do not have laptop connected to the internet.

Use System Restore to restore to a date before you downloaded the software.

If you can't start Windows normally you can do it via safe mode with command prompt click here

BillSers 08:37 26 Aug 2014

If MBAM doesn't clear them download and run JWT click here

john bunyan 09:00 26 Aug 2014

I would quickly download and run ADWCleaner.

ADWCleaner

spuds 10:38 26 Aug 2014

I have never tried this programme, so cannot validate it worth, so use at at your own risk, but there appears to be some good/fair reviews click here

manrow 20:49 01 Sep 2014

Gordon Freeman Likes # 1

Posted August 25, 2014 at 9:52PM

Thanks for that advice which I followed. Malwarebytes turned up many infections which I deleted. Then Superantispyware free edition highlighted over 3,400 infections, all of which were deleted. My laptop has returned to normal functioning although almost daily running of the software above keeps revealing unwanted items, usually Adware.

manrow 20:50 01 Sep 2014

Gordon Freeman Likes # 1

Posted August 25, 2014 at 9:52PM

Thanks for that advice which I followed. Malwarebytes turned up many infections which I deleted. Then Superantispyware free edition highlighted over 3,400 infections, all of which were deleted. My laptop has returned to normal functioning although almost daily running of the software above keeps revealing unwanted items, usually Adware.

john bunyan 22:17 01 Sep 2014

As an "extra" I would still download and run ADWCleaner from my earlier link. The other two are great, but ADWCleaner occasionally finds stuff even they have missed.

What Anti Virus do you have?

wee eddie 22:58 01 Sep 2014

I'll back John on ADWCleaner.

spuds 23:35 01 Sep 2014

At the end of the day it all comes down to selecting the correct download website, because all to often people learn from bad experiences, after the damage is done.

Personally I always check with reliable and recommended download websites like FileHippo, MajorGeeks, BleepingComputer to be on the save side. Cnet is a website that I used previously, but no longer after having problems downloading from that website.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

How secure is your Wi-Fi?

AMD vs Intel: we put the most powerful desktops for designers and artists head-to-head

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleurs ordinateurs portables 2017