Duplicated email

millsie 14:02 17 Jun 2007

I download email from my ISP Talktalk using MS Outlook using either my laptop or PC. To get all emails on both computers I have opted to leave mail on the server for 7 days before deletion. The laptop correctly downloads only one copy of each received email but the PC downloads a duplicate of each email every time I connect resulting in many versions of each email. I can get round this by logging on directly to my talktalk email account and deleting mail but its not very convenient. It seems that when I connect using my PC, the PC and server are not doing a check to see what has been already downloaded and excluding those that have. Does anyone have any idea how this can be fixed? - thanks

uesquebeathus 16:50 17 Jun 2007

this is a common problem with outlook, which is not always easy to fix, Start by checking Rules to be sure that copies are not being made to the Inbox, and make sure that all your rules end in "Stop Processing" actions.

Then check the task manager to be sure that there is only one instance of Outlook running. Two instances of outlook.exe running can produce two messages arriving at the same time. You will need to then determine why two instances of Outlook were running in the first place.

Another thing you can do is to delete/remove ALL your e-mail accounts and recreate them. This worked for some people.
This is a link to a microsoft web page for this problem click here

OR try Firefox instead its just as good if not better Ive never have a duplicate.

Stuartli 16:57 17 Jun 2007

You won't download e-mails using Firefox (unless it's when via webmail) - Thunderbird yes...:-)

uesquebeathus 17:18 17 Jun 2007

sorry i meant Thunderbird, my front door went and i rushed a bit to answer before my brain got into gear.

millsie 12:15 18 Jun 2007

Thanks for the suggestions: checked rules and made sure only one version of Outlook running. All ok - decided to give Thunderbird a go and problem solved. As you say Thunderbird looks as good if not better. Great - your help is really appreciated.

Stuartli 12:30 18 Jun 2007

You'll find that, once "trained", Thunderbird's Junk Mail filter is highly efficient.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017