DUPLICATE OPERATING SYSTEM

asterias 11:24 21 Mar 2009

My O/S is XP Prof' which has suddenly stopped connecting to the WWW thru' IE.Also no email connect of course.My ISP help line talked me thru' various procedures but to no avail.They checked the incoming line as good up to the router.The ISP advised me to do a re-install of XP.Having now done that,the new installation works fine.Somehow,the original XP O/S still lives on my PC.When I start up,a screen asks me which O/S I wish to use (both of which are listed as XP of course).The new install is good but the original is corrupted.Can I un-install the original without affecting the new?

MAJ 11:41 21 Mar 2009

Go to Start > Run, type in:

msconfig

click OK, then click on the Boot.ini tab and click the "Check all boot paths" button.

MAJ 11:52 21 Mar 2009

I'm guessing when you reinstalled XP you didn't wipe the original installation first. It would have been installed to C:\Windows, the second installation would have then been installed to c:\windows.000 (or similar). As you have just done this and you probably don't have a lot installed other than XP, it is probably advisable to format the drive and reinstall XP properly this time.

asterias 19:26 21 Mar 2009

MAJ - Thks for the advice.I have actually got quite a lot more software installed which has taken me much of today to re-configure so I'd rather not do another clean install.

asterias 19:31 21 Mar 2009

MAJ - I tried the BOOT.INI route and got the message "It appears that all BOOT.INI lines for Microsoft operating systems are OK".

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?