Duplex printing

greenkeen 14:58 24 Apr 2007

Hi, Maybe some can help?
We are implementing duplex printing but have encountered a problem with printers connected to multiuse cluster PCs. Microsoft Word ignores the fact that we have set the printer driver to use duplex printing and defaults to single side printing when a new user logs on. All other applications obey it. Further details are given below. If you (or your IT teams) have seen this problem and have a solution can you let me know! Many thanks.
During the logon process on public access PC we run a program which uses the SetDefaultPrinter API call which is available in Windows 2000 onwards to set the default printer. This code follows Microsoft's recommendations. The current Microsoft document describing the procedure is

How to retrieve and set the default printer in Windows Article ID : 246772 Last Review : February 12, 2007 Revision : 2.3
This article was previously published under Q246772

This apparently works OK except there is a problem which we have only ever managed to reproduce using Word e.g. Internet Explorer does not seem to exhibit this behavior. Although duplex printing is selectable from the print dialog box in Word (it therefore knows the printer has the duplex unit installed) the print job is actually printed single sided.

A number of workarounds have been discovered

1. In the Print dialog, changing to a printer other than the default one and then changing back to the default printer.

OR

2. Logging into the cluster PC, logging out from it and then logging back in again on the same PC.
Duplex selection from Word for the default printer is then effective.

OR

3. Selecting duplex printing using the Properties=>Printing Preferences dialog after selecting the printer in Printers and Faxes i.e. set duplexing as default for the printer before going into Word. It appears that a change must be made to the printer before entering Word.

Anyone any ideas please.
Thank you

recap 15:19 24 Apr 2007

I had a very similar problem with the network printer here at work. We run a small network so this may not be viable option on your network.

Adding the networked printer through My Network Neighborhood was the only work around I could find for our problem

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?