Dumb network Question????Need Help

Sharpeace 04:01 06 Jan 2006

I have dsl connect to router, router connected to pc. laptop connected via wireless network. Both computers can connect to the internet independently. I can only file share when I have both computers turned on.
Example - If I'm working on the Laptop I and the PC is not on I can not connect the files on my pc. or vice versa is this the way it is suppose to work? I would like to be able to get into my computers without the other one being on...

can anyone advise?

AndySD 04:15 06 Jan 2006

You cant with your present set up. You could get a network hard drive and then always save your files to that. Since the drive will be always on you can always get to the files on it. click here Maxtor Shared Storage Drive. click here NetGear NETWORK STORAGE CENTRAL (but you need a hard drive as well)

gomezchar 07:54 06 Jan 2006

you cant possibly make both computer and your laptop communicate without turning both of them on.

mgmcc 08:35 06 Jan 2006

As "gomezchar" says, you cannot access files on a PC that isn't running. What you can do is to have "synchronised" copies in both PCs so that you can work on a file using either PC and then, when both PCs are running, synchronise the selected folders so that the older copy of the file is replaced with the newer one. Have a look at "Allway Sync" - click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017