Duff USB External Hard Drive

Barrynoid 16:13 02 Nov 2006

I’ve got a Freecom USB external hard drive and it’s stopped working – there’s nothing obvious wrong with it – power supply etc. is working. Does anyone have any experience with regard to getting these things fixed (and by whom) -- it's out of warranty -- and/or any suggestions with respect to data recovery?

Pamy 17:10 02 Nov 2006

have a look here
Failure of Maxtor One Touch USB3 External drive

VoG II 17:11 02 Nov 2006

Link click here

Pamy 17:20 02 Nov 2006

thanks VoG™ still cannot do that

Diemmess 17:37 02 Nov 2006

At least you can test the unit in several ways to narrow down the fault

1.Try it plugged into a friend's computer. If the OS is 2000 or XP it will configure itself.

2. Open the case, remove the drive and hang it somehow as an extra drive in your PC. To avoid jumper troubles "borrow" the data and power cables from the secondary master, (probably an optical drive)you should be able to read it.

When I said "hang" it, I mean that almost literally.
For test purposes there is no need to screw anything down. The drive can be on the table or almost dangling from the box just as long as it is not knocked during the time it is switched on.

If you can read it then obviously the fault is in the external case, HDs alone tend to have very long lives.

Barrynoid 00:52 03 Nov 2006

Thanks Diemmess -- I like the 'secondary master' idea I was going to faff about with jumpers -- good call.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Comment afficher des fichiers cachés sur Mac ?