Dual Screening with DVI-D and VGA

ldown302 15:47 15 Apr 2015

I'm looking to implement a dual screen set up, I currently run windows 7. The primary video port in use at the moment is VGA, there is only a DVI-D port left available on the tower, the question is can I just buy a DVI-D supporting monitor and a DVI-D male to male cable and plug the new monitor in? will that allow me to run a dual screen set up?

Thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:42 15 Apr 2015

Depends on where your video outputs are on tower if VGA is off mother board and DVI off graphics card then you cannot use both at same time.

If both are off graphics card and it suits dual display then OK as described.

ldown302 09:12 16 Apr 2015

Thanks FB, sorry for my complete lack of knowledge but I'm not quite sure how to check whether they both run off the graphics card, any help with that?

bumpkin 09:40 16 Apr 2015

Something like this may be an easier solution click here

bumpkin 10:48 16 Apr 2015

Not 100% sure what you are trying to do so previous suggestion maybe not what you want, here is some info click here

ldown302 12:51 16 Apr 2015

Sorry Bumpkin, I wasn't clear with regards to the goal was I, I'm looking for two screens that extend the display rather than having two identical displays.

bumpkin 13:44 16 Apr 2015

OK, then my second link tells you how to do it assuming that you have the correct graphics card of course.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?