Dual Networks

griffo 17:10 31 Dec 2006

Is it possible to be connected to a wired network and also have access to a separate wireless network, at the same time?

If this topic has been covered before, please excuse but the search facility won't work at present.

howard64 18:44 31 Dec 2006

I doubt it - you can switch from one to the other but as far as I know you cannot. There is of course nothing to stop you being on line with your wired network and then seeing if your wireless can connect.

Taff™ 20:18 31 Dec 2006

I think you can! click here One of my clients uses two networks in his buildings - one for the factory & Warehouse and another for the Sales / Admin functions. They are "bridged" so that information (Data) can be passed between them depending on the security settings on each user account. Managers can look at both networks for example.

eljanno 20:22 31 Dec 2006

I have 2 pc's on a wired network and a lap top wireless all running on the same router, if thats ant help to you, i just replaced the router, and bought a wireless one which you can still have up to 4 pc wired to it and however many you want wireless.

j

terryf 20:22 31 Dec 2006

To search go to IE or ff and put in your search words together with pcadvisor forums, this always works better than the forum search box

Taff™ 21:38 31 Dec 2006

Not quite how I interpreted the question but all your computers are on the same network. Some hard wired and one wireless. I think griffo wanted to have a hard wired network and still connect wirelessly to another separate network which involves "bridging" - I think it can be done via some wireless routers. The other network might be as I described, in another building or area.

griffo 21:45 31 Dec 2006

thanks for the replies folks. Perhaps I could have made myself clearer. The wired network allows access to the internet/email and a shared database.

I would like to create a separate wireless network (router not connected to a phone line) to facilitate a shared printer and scanner and a particular set of folders/files that are not to be shared on the 'global' wired network. Does that help?

griffo 21:50 31 Dec 2006

I should have added that the PC that has the files/folders/printer/scanner isn't attached to the wired network and we don't want it to be.

mgmcc 22:16 31 Dec 2006

<<< I would like to create a separate wireless network (router not connected to a phone line) to facilitate a shared printer and scanner and a particular set of folders/files that are not to be shared on the 'global' wired network.>>>

I don't see any reason why certain computers shouldn't be part of a separate "wireless" network operating in a different subnet. Why would you use a "router" if it isn't connecting to the internet, although it might be no more expensive than a stand-alone Wireless Access Point? Be aware that the 54Mbps bandwidth of an 802.11g wireless network will be *shared* by those computers using it, they won't each have the full bandwidth.

What you won't be able to do is to split file sharing so that some are available in the wired network and others in the wireless network. Either all "shares" are only available in the *WIRELESS* network, or all shares are only available in the *WIRED* network, or all shares are available in *BOTH* networks.

Microsoft's "File & Printer Sharing" doesn't extend to scanners.

<<< I should have added that the PC that has the files/folders/printer/scanner isn't attached to the wired network and we don't want it to be.>>>

...but are the the other computers that need to connect to it also connected to the 'wired' network?

griffo 22:55 31 Dec 2006

we already have a Draytek Vigor 2600G, which is not being currently used, so no expense involved.

As stated, the PC that has the files/folders on, is not connected to the wired network. We just want 4 laptops to be able to network (wireless) with this PC to share the files/folders and the printer. The scanner will only add to the existing files/folders on the PC and we will use synchronisation software between the laptops and the PC for the specific files/folders which we don't wish to share with the wired network.

griffo 22:56 31 Dec 2006

we already have a Draytek Vigor 2600G, which is not being currently used, so no expense involved.

As stated, the PC that has the files/folders on, is not connected to the wired network. We just want 4 laptops to be able to network (wireless) with this PC to share the files/folders and the printer. The scanner will only add to the existing files/folders on the PC and we will use synchronisation software between the laptops and the PC for the specific files/folders which we don't wish to share with the wired network.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?