Dual Monitors Problem

laurieballard 19:21 12 Oct 2006

I purchased a VGA pliteer from Ebay in the hope that i would be able to use a second monitor to extend my windows desktop. I connected it all up but instead of extending the desktop the second monitor just displays a duplicate of what is on my normal screen. My graphics card does support dual monitors becuase the extend my windows desktop option is there but when i try to do it nothing happens.

SLAYER 19:39 12 Oct 2006

this may help.

click here

or this

click here

You don't use a VGA splitter. That just splits the same signal over two cables hence you getting a duplicate image on the second monitor.

Your graphics card should have two outputs. One of these may be a DVI one in which case you will need a DVI convertor if neither of your monitors have a DVI socket. However, some cards just have a TV-out as the second output which will not be suitable for a second monitor but still offers the option of an extended desktop (so that you can use a TV too).

If you have the appropriate outputs, just connect both monitors to a seperate one on your graphics card and you should be able to enable the extended desktop.

laurieballard 20:18 12 Oct 2006

My grahpics card is built on board, its an ATI Radeon express 200 so it only has one VGA output, which is why i got the splitter.

Any reccomendations

You will need a new graphics card such as click here if your motherboard has an AGP slot or click here if it has PCI-Express

If neither monitor has a DVI input, you will need one of these too click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?