dual monitor display

mushter 13:18 26 Nov 2008

Hi I currently have a samsung monitor connected to my pc and a crt connected via the s-video,Im about to buy an lcd tv and I would like to have a dual monitor display on it instead of the clone I have now.
So I need to know if I can do this and which cabling do I need.
btw the monitor has 2 dvi blocks and 1 analogue

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:43 26 Nov 2008

Depends on what outputs your graphics card has and what inputs are on the LCD TV.

mushter 14:52 26 Nov 2008

graphics output is as stated on first post tv has 2 hdmi s-video and pc analogue

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:00 26 Nov 2008

DVI lead from graphics card to monitor

D-sub Analogue lead from graphics to TV click here

mushter 15:42 26 Nov 2008

Ive tried the d-sub lead from graphics card to monitor but I get no signal at all not sure if its a conflict between dvi and d-sub or im doing something else wrong

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:50 26 Nov 2008

You may need to go into display properties to switch on the second monitor especially if your second display was set to TV via the S-Video lead.

mushter 16:04 26 Nov 2008

Ive been into display properties unpluged the crt re-booted the pc and plugged in the lcd then gone back into display properties and tried detceting the display.
All that happens is the pc detects default tv and I still get no signal through the lcd.
Btw fruit bat Im not trying to be negative Ive been trying different things all day,I was toying with the idea of buying a dvi to d-sub converter what do you think?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:29 26 Nov 2008

You have come so far, make it work :0)

Not sure how you are detecting display in display properties - settings tab.

Normally you have the two blue squares, click on 1 - advanced - displays tab

this will allow you to change the displays and switch between , then you can click advanced agin for each display to set the refresh rate etc.
do not go above 75Hz for a flat screen display to start with.

mushter 16:47 26 Nov 2008

IM in cat control centre refresh rate is at 75 problem is the pc cant detect anything other than primary:smsung monitor and scondary crt tv it cant detect the lcd even when I unplug the s-video then re-boot

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?