DUAL LAYER DVDRW ??

rdh660 21:16 31 May 2006

I know there are DVD+R dual layer discs but can you buy a rewriteable dual layer variety as you can DVDRW and CDRW?
I ask because when I recently made an enquiry in PC World and the assistant said they do exist but they were sold out. (I had a feeling he maybe didn't want to admit he didn't actually know...might be wrong though and doing him an injustice)
I have never seen them advertised nor heard them mentioned and cannot seem to find them for sale anywhere. Do they actually exist or not....anybody know ??
Thanks

Totally-braindead 21:19 31 May 2006

I have never seen them so I think they do not exist. Would be glad to be proved wrong though.

rdh660 21:28 31 May 2006

Thanks Totally Braindead. It just annoys me when I go into places like PC world looking for advice only to find that I with my VERY limited knowledge of computers often know more than the people in there trying sell IT equipment and pretending they know how it all works. They seem to never want to admit they simply don't know and blunder their way through some baffling explanation that you can't beleive is true. I would much rather they came clean and went and to ask one of the other staff who maybe could provide the answer.

Totally-braindead 21:36 31 May 2006

I agree with you. I believe I am correct saying they do not exist but just because I haven't seen them does not mean they aren't out there. That is why I said I would be glad to be proved wrong.
Wait and see perhaps somewill will jump in with a link.

De Marcus™ 21:40 31 May 2006

Soon to be released apparently click here I wouldn't hold my breath however especially as new blu-ray HD drives are being produced, etc, these DUAL LAYER DVD-RW have probably been put on the back burner.

rdh660 21:59 31 May 2006

Thanks all.
Once again great response from the Forum.

David4637 14:06 01 Jun 2006

Will a dual layer DVD disc play in a normal standalone DVD Player? Thanks David

De Marcus™ 17:26 01 Jun 2006

David4637

Yes

David4637 19:19 02 Jun 2006

Thanks De Marcus™ for your reply. Please confirm that a Dual Layer DVD disc (not a commercially purchased movie DVD) burnt on a PC will play in a standalone DVD Player. Just wondered? Thanks David

donki 19:39 02 Jun 2006

Gotta get my 50p's worth in, PCWorld employees are so annpying and i often know alot more than them, and i consider myself a novice!!!!!

Sum dvd players do prefer some brands of DVD's to others, a google serch should b more enligtening. RW disks do pose more of a problem than standard bland disks.

De Marcus™ 23:14 02 Jun 2006

Correct David4637, yes they will, users may notice a slight 'glitch' in the video at the moment the laser switches layers, this is normal and is also the same with commercially produced disks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017