dual graphics card for laptop?

helpmeplease 17:03 04 Apr 2008

I have presentation software and want to project onto a screen a different image to that on the laptop.
I have an IBM thinkpad T30 which has ATI Mobility Radeon 7500 16b graphics installed + Windows XP
Any observations please?
Thanks

Totally-braindead 17:14 04 Apr 2008

You cannot upgrade a laptop graphics card, what you have is what you are stuck with unless its one of the very few laptops that have a replaceable graphics card, but these are very rare and the only ones I have ever seen like this retail at about the £1000 mark.

Perhaps yours is one of the ones that can be replaced but I doubt it and don't know of a solution.

Ditch999 17:39 04 Apr 2008

Turn the projector on and plug the display lead into the notebooks monitor port. Vista will display a New Display Detected window. Click the Show different parts of my desktop on each dispaly (extended) button then select weather the external display is on the R or L. click OK. The external displays resolution might not be ok. R click a blank area of Desktop > Personalise > Display settings. Click Identify monitors, select the external one and adjust the resolution.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:04 04 Apr 2008

So you've done the pres and added notes at the bottom, yes? The easy way to do this is, in PPT, go to Slide Show -> Set Up Show. When that box pops up, tick Show Presenter View. This will give you the option of having the notes on your laptop and involves extending the desktop, which is done by right-clicking the desktop and going to Properties -> Settings, the ticking Extend my Windows Desktop.

I am pretty sure just ticking Show Presenter View will bring up the properties box, anyway. You may have to allocate monitors.

In any event, ticking Show Presntr View WITHOUT a projector attached will bring up an MS PPT Help box, so you can follow that prior to linking to projector.

That should get you going. Remember to also press Auto Adjust on the projector so it can clamp on properly to the laptop's output image!

woodchip 18:04 04 Apr 2008

As above none upgradeable

Quiller. 18:13 04 Apr 2008

or use an Asus XG station plug in graphics card, if you have a pcmcia card slot.

helpmeplease 13:50 05 Apr 2008

I have discovered that I can add a new (external)
Matrox DualHead2Go - Dual Head Monitor support for PC and Notebook (D2G-A2A-EU)
which will do the trick
Thanks for help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?