Dual (Double) Layer DVDs. Tell me the difference,

pj123 14:50 13 Oct 2005

please.

I have an LG Dual Layer DVD burner. I have only used the standard 4.7gb DVD blank discs so far.

I would like to try some Dual (Double) Layer disks but there seems to be two different types.

8.5gb click here

or

9.4gb click here

If a standard DVD disc is 4.7gb then one would suppose that a Dual (Double) Layer disc would be 9.4gb. So what is the 8.5gb?

Thank you.

SANTOS7 14:54 13 Oct 2005

click here
good info here..

pj123 15:45 13 Oct 2005

SANTOS7, yes good info but there doesn't seem to be any reference to 9.4gb at all.

Is a 9.4gb disc double sided? ie. turn it over to record the other side. Rather like the old Philips 2000 video tape system?

I have a friend who is a PC Retailer. I will see if he would let me have one of each of these discs (for nothing) to try. Don't hold your breath, although he is a friend, he is in business to make money. Sometimes I can get stuff for free from him but sometimes it is not possible. I understand that and don't ask him many favours.

SANTOS7 15:50 13 Oct 2005

(Digital VideoDisc or Digital Versatile Disc) An optical digital disc for storing movies and data. Introduced in the U.S. in 1997, and developed by both the computer and movie industries, the disc uses the same diameter platter as a CD (120mm/4.75" diameter), but holds 4.7GB rather than 700MB. Whereas CDs use only one side, DVDs can be recorded on both sides as well as in dual layers. DVD drives/players read most CD media as well. For the specifications of 2x, 4x, 8x, etc. DVD drives, see DVD drives. The various flavors of DVDs are summarized below:

Standard Definition Movie DVDs
DVD-Video is the movie format, which uses MPEG-2 compression to provide approximately two hours of video per side at standard definition TV resolution (480i resolution). When most people mention the word "DVD," they are referring to a DVD-Video disc. See DVD-Video and DTV.

High Definition Movie DVDs
Blu-ray and HD DVD are two competing formats that have enough storage for two hour high-definition movies (1080i resolution). See Blu-ray, HD DVD and capacity comparisons below.

Read Only DVDs
A DVD-ROM is like a larger CD-ROM that holds data and interactive audio and video material. Like CD-ROMs, DVD-ROMs are manufactured. See DVD-ROM.

Writable/Recordable DVDs
A DVD-RAM is a rewritable DVD that functions like a removable hard disk. DVD-RAM media can be rewritten 100,000 times before it is no longer usable. See DVD-RAM.

DVD-R and DVD+R are competing write-once formats for movies or data. DVD-RW and DVD+RW are competing, rewritable (re-recordable) formats that unlike DVD-RAM's 100,000 cycles, can only be rewritten 1,000 times. Aimed at the consumer, 1,000 rewrites is considered more than sufficient. See DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-RW and DVD+RW.

Music DVDs
DVD-Audio is a second-generation digital music format that provides higher sampling rates than audio CDs. Many have welcomed the new format, believing that the original audio CD was unable to capture the total sound spectrum. See DVD-Audio.

DVD Stands For?
Originally, "Digital VideoDisc." Since the technology became important to the computer world, the "video" was dropped, and it was just D-V-D. Later, it was dubbed "Digital Versatile Disc" by the DVD Forum. Take your pick.

Minus (-R/-RW) and Plus (+R/+RW)
The formats endorsed by the DVD Forum (click here) have a hyphen in their names and are verbalized as "DVD Minus R" or "DVD Dash R" (DVD-R) and "DVD Minus RW" or "DVD Dash RW" (DVD-RW). The competing formats from the DVD+RW Alliance (click here) use a plus sign: "DVD Plus R" (DVD+R) and "DVD Plus RW" (DVD+RW). Starting in 2002, drives that supported both Minus and Plus formats were introduced. See DVD Forum and DVD+RW Alliance.

Specifications
Following are the various DVD types and capacities. Also included are the high-definition (HD) formats (see Blu-ray and HD DVD). See also DTV.

Type Sides Layers Capacity

Read Only Standard Definition
DVD-Video/DVD-ROM 1 1 4.7GB (DVD-5)
DVD-Video/DVD-ROM 1 2 8.5GB (DVD-9)
DVD-Video/DVD-ROM 2 1 9.4GB (DVD-10)
DVD-Video/DVD-ROM 2 2 17.0GB (DVD-18)

Read Only High Definition
Blu-ray (BD-ROM) 1 1 25.0GB
Blu-ray (BD-ROM) 1 2 50.0GB
HD DVD-ROM 1 1 15.0GB
HD DVD-ROM 1 2 30.0GB

Write Once Standard Definition
DVD-R (A) 1 1 4.7GB
DVD-R (G) 1 1 4.7GB
DVD-R (G) 2 1 9.4GB
DVD-R DL 1 2 8.5GB
DVD+R 1 1 4.7GB
DVD+R DL 1 2 8.5GB

Write Once High Definition
Blu-ray (BD-R) 1 1 25.0GB
Blu-ray (BD-R) 1 2 50.0GB
HD DVD-R 1 1 15.0GB
HD DVD-R 1 2 30.0GB

Type Sides Layers Capacity

Rewritable Standard Definition (100K cycles)
DVD-RAM Ver. 1 1 1 2.6GB
DVD-RAM Ver. 1 2 1 5.2GB
DVD-RAM Ver. 2 1 1 4.7GB
DVD-RAM Ver. 2 2 1 9.4GB
DVD-RAM (80 mm) 1 1 1.46GB
DVD-RAM (80 mm) 2 1 2.92GB

Rewritable Standard Definition (1K cycles)
(Also called "Re-recordable")
DVD-RW 1 1 4.7GB
DVD-RW 2 1 9.4GB
DVD+RW 1 1 4.7GB
DVD+RW 2 1 9.4GB

Rewritable High Definition (10K cycles)
Blu-ray (BD RE) 1 1 25.0GB
Blu-ray (BD RE) 1 2 50.0GB
HD DVD Rewritable 1 1 15.0GB
HD DVD Rewritable 1 2 30.0GB

SANTOS7 15:52 13 Oct 2005

OOOPS!!! think it would have been easier to post the link..........
click here
what its basically saying is the 9.4s are double sided whereas the 8.5s are not..

pj123 16:03 13 Oct 2005

SANTOS7, thanks again. I will try an 8.5gb and see what happens.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?