Dual channel V extra ram

Simpav 19:36 21 Oct 2009

Hi

I currently have 512Mb of RAM and am thinking of getting some more to improve performance

I have been advised that I might be better off getting an extra 1 GB and running in single channel than another 512MB and running in dual channel as running in dual channel does'nt actually improve perfomance that much.

Clearly I would have more RAM going the single channel route but i thought running in dual channel gave significant performace improvement.

Any thoughts?

ambra4 05:10 22 Oct 2009

“I have been advised that I might be better off getting an extra 1 GB and running in single channel than another 512MB and running in dual channel as running in dual channel doesn’t actually improve performance that much”

Not true, all you need to do is just add a 1 GB chip module in the second slot, which will

Increase the memory to 1.512GB on the computer

Go to Crucial and do a scan of the computer, this will tell you the correct type and the max

amount of memory the motherboard can take

click here

Simpav 14:51 22 Oct 2009

Thanks

So is having more memory in single channel always better than running in dual channel. For example would 1gb in dual channel give better performance than 1.25gb in single channel.

Its a cost v performance question really, for about a third of the cost more I can get 1gb rather than 512m. In addition to the 512mb I already have I can either run these as dual channel with the 512 or single with the 1gb but if the perfomance increase with the dual channel is significant for my needs, I'd rather save the pennies!

The computer is used for surfing, using stuff like wordm excel etc and playing basic games.

ambra4 16:26 22 Oct 2009
  Simpav 17:10 22 Oct 2009

Thanks ambra4

I think I will go for the extra 1gb and run 1.512gb in single channel..

Thanks again.

ambra4 17:23 22 Oct 2009

Always willing to help

Enjoy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires