Dual Booting Red Hat Linux/ XP Home

Bostasp 20:23 20 Feb 2003

Currently I have a computer running Windows XP home on my 60gb hard disk with a NTFS partition taking up the whole drive. I also have another hard disk, which is set as my H:\ disk, which is 40gb, also a fully-hard drive munching NTFS partition that I use for my Music files, Downloads, Images, Website and Important Backup files. I also have a 8gb that has just failed.

I was hoping to install Red Hat Linux 8.0 on my 8gb and switching it in whenever I wished to use it (basically to test my website in a different os and to suit all file types, or basically because I think its an all round better OS all together), but seeing as the 8gb likes to click alot and complain about even working, is there any way of changing the partitions on my 60gb or my 40gb (i would perfer my 60gb) without touching the data thats already on their now?

Thanks

zanwalk 20:47 20 Feb 2003

Is what you need, although they do not guarantee to preserve your data, it usually is OK. However, I would not advise using any partition utility without backing up important data, it is imperative anyway given the tendency of Hard Disks to fail at inconvenient moments.

A bonus of purchasing PM is that it comes bundled with Bootmagic which you could then use as a bootloader to choose between your OS's.

Taran 20:55 20 Feb 2003

Partition Magic can do it perfectly.

Depending on whether you can back up your system in its entirety, you can also use the Windows Disk Manager to play around with a slave hard drives properties.

You could also be overlooking the simple fact that all mainstream distributions of Linux ship with excellent disk partitioning utilities and setup is a breeze.

You may like to reconsider Red Hat for one of the other flavours of Linux. Red Hat is one of my favourites and has a very well deserved reputation. Curiously though, version 8 follows all previous releases by defaulting its desktop environment to Gnome and not KDE. This causes some issues to many people.

Back to your partitioning issue; from Windows, you can't beat Partition Magic. Red Hat (or any other Linux distro) can also alter the existing partition on your slave drive and create and format its own space for both its swap file and OS. juts make very sure which disk you are targeting for install, remembering that Linux begins its drive count at zero.

Bostasp 21:04 20 Feb 2003

ok thanks, and I did to a test run, on a friend's 10gig, who is lucky enough (or rather can afford it) to have 1MB broadband, well nevermind that, but you can set it so u use KDE as default, but it is a pain.

I'll have a bash with partition magic, should do the trick, thanks alot

Bostasp

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017