dual booting

bluenote 19:27 01 Jan 2009

I have succesfully loaded xp pro on my vista pc as a dual boot.Works fine except xp wont recognise the ethernet connection in xp although it does in vista,the same goes for the sound card .no big deal but is there anything that can be done .

MAJ 19:31 01 Jan 2009

Load the XP drivers for the ethernet card and sound card on to the XP Partition.

Bob Bob™ 19:47 01 Jan 2009

I have a Toshiba laptop that I got running in a dual boot situation and Toshiba are very good because they offer XP drivers for their Vista laptops on their support website so I have XP and Vista on my laptop and they basically have the exactly same feature set.

Maybe the maker of your computer is as nice as Toshiba

bluenote 21:14 01 Jan 2009

when i go to device manager it says that they are not connected, where do i load the drivers to?

Terminus90 23:20 01 Jan 2009

if you have the drivers on a disk, then boot into xp and install them, then xp should recognise them. If you don't have the disk then uninstall them from device manager and re-boot, windows should recognise them and install the drivers.

bluenote 20:46 03 Jan 2009

I did what you advised terminus 90 and succeeded in loading the ethernet connection but have not managed to get sound from the onboard sound card.I have tried the acer website with no success. perhaps the drivers will only work under vista.what do you think?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?