Dual-boot, XP/PCLinux issues

Taterman 08:58 26 Apr 2008

Hi guys,

I've been scouring forums for a few days but I am still having problems booting to a new install of PCLinux so I thought I would post the issue here. Keep in mind I'm a complete Linux noob but trying to learn. Here's the setup:

2 HDD's: Main is a SATA drive , second is and IDE.

Windows is installed on the SATA drive and for the Linux install I made 4 partitions.
On the IDE drive is /root (hdd6), swap (hdd5) and /home (hdd8)
On the SATA drive is /boot (sda7)

The install seemed to go well and I installed grub on the /root on the IDE drive.
After this I ran bootloader and added PCLinux 2007 to the boot.ini

I rebooted without the linux disc in and the boot option menu came with the choices being XP Home or PCLinux 2007. XP loads fine if selected but if I pick Linux the screen goes black for a second and them right back to the boot menu. XP is the only one that works though I can boot to the Linux live CD if needed.
I hope someone can help, I've spent a few days on this already and I'm determined to make it work right.

After running boatloader, this is my boot.ini

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
C:\BootPart\bootlinx.bin="PCLinuxOS 2007"

Thanks in advance

alan2273 10:07 26 Apr 2008

I dual boot Linux & XP and it boots of GRUB, there is no entry for Linux in the Boot.INI file.
I cannot advise you as I have two IDE drives.
You would be better of posting your question on the PCLinux OS forum.
click here

Jollyjohn 10:10 26 Apr 2008

Hi
i would use the Linux bootloader to boot WXP. When you get to the point in the installation of Linux there is an option of where to install the bootloader, choose mbr (which will overwrite your current mbr) but will give you the option to boot XP instead of Linux.

ambra4 13:43 26 Apr 2008

How to dual boot Linux and Windows XP (Linux installed first)

click here

Taterman 16:02 26 Apr 2008

@ Jollyjohn- Thanks. I was hoping Windows would be the default option in the boot-up menu. Would this be the case if I wrote it to the mbr?

@ambra4- Thanks as well. I already had Windows XP installed and there's too much installed to re-do it andload Linux first.

Here is my grub menu.lst file if this helps:

timeout 10
color black/cyan yellow/cyan
gfxmenu (hd1,5)/usr/share/gfxboot/themes/pclinuxos/boot/message
default 4

title linux
kernel (hd0,6)/vmlinuz BOOT_IMAGE=linux root=/dev/hdd6 acpi=on resume=/dev/hdd5 splash=silent vga=788
initrd (hd0,6)/initrd.img

title linux-nonfb
kernel (hd0,6)/vmlinuz BOOT_IMAGE=linux-nonfb root=/dev/hdd6 acpi=on resume=/dev/hdd5

title failsafe
kernel (hd0,6)/vmlinuz BOOT_IMAGE=failsafe root=/dev/hdd6 failsafe acpi=on resume=/dev/hdd5

title windows
root (hd1,0)
map (0x81) (0x80)
map (0x80) (0x81)
makeactive
chainloader +1

title windows1
root (hd0,0)
makeactive
chainloader +1

LastChip 21:03 26 Apr 2008

I'm really trying to get my head around what you have done.

Linux basics:

SATA hard drives are seen as SCSI devices in Linux and have the annotation; /dev/sda for example. This would indicate the device is the first SCSI hard drive (scsi drive a). The second would be /dev/sdb and so on. When an IDE drive is used, it's simply a hard drive, so the first IDE hard drive would be; /dev/hda, the second /dev/hdb etc.

In addition, if you partition a drive, a number will be added to the annotation, so the first primary partition on an IDE drive would be; /dev/hda1. If you added a second primary partition, it would be /dev/hda2. As you can have four primary partitions, any further partitions would have to be written in the extended partition as logical drives and would therefore start at 5. To try and clarify that, if you had only one primary IDE drive partition and say three logical partitions in an extended partition, they would appear as follows:

/dev/hda1

/dev/hda5

/dev/hda6

/dev/hda7

The only difference to that is if you were using a SATA drive, then simply substitute "sda" for "hda".

With that in mind, you say you have:

"On the IDE drive is /root (hdd6), swap (hdd5) and /home (hdd8)
On the SATA drive is /boot (sda7)"

hdd6 (/root) would be the fourth IDE hard drive and the second logical partition on that drive. Is that right?

Likewise, on the SATA drive, the boot partition is the third logical partition.

To be honest, none of this rings true and certainly doesn't match with the output from your GRUB file.

Can you clarify please. what you mean by; "After running boatloader".

click here for an article I wrote which may help and click here for further information.

octal 21:45 26 Apr 2008

If you have installed PCLos then you should be using the grub as the boot loader.

Have you tried redo MBR on the live PCLos CD? That's how I usually gets things back working for me when I mess things up in grub. Just put the PCLos disk back in and let it boot, in the System>Configuration>Boot and Init you'll find Redo MBR.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?