Dual boot xp xp

The Lemon 20:13 01 Dec 2007

I have 2 hard drives on my computer. To cut a long story short, I have installed xp on the slave drive as well as having it already installed on the master drive. It boots up on the slave drive every time now and I cannot get it to boot up from the master drive. I wish to have the option to choose which drive I boot up from. I would be very grateful if anyone has got any ideas as to wether this is possible and if so how do I go about doing it?
Cheers

crosstrainer 20:27 01 Dec 2007

That springs to mind is why? Do you have a cd supplied with your machine? If so why do you need 2 installations of the same os?

If you want to boot from the master as opposed to the slave.

1) Open the case

2) check to see if you have 1 or 2 IDE channels on your motherboard

3) check the jumpers on your hard drives

4) to boot from master as opposed to slave, swap jumpers, or ide cable as relevant.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:49 01 Dec 2007

If you do not want to go inside the case the Enter the BIOS and set the first boot device to the master drive.

You can then enter the boot.ini file to ask which windows you want to boot from click here

The Lemon 09:11 02 Dec 2007

Thanx for ur help guys. I was having a slight problem with the registry on the main hard drive. Rather than reload the whole system and all my programs, I thought a quick way round this would be to load xp on the slave drive - which I did by disconnecting the master drive - and presumed that windows would recognise that it had two os's loaded and would give me the option of which one I wanted to boot up from, which it obviously didn't!! So what I need is to access programs on both drives. I shall try your suggestions and let you know how I get on.
Cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?